Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Tips on Wood Aging.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #101
milleniumsmoker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would oak first, add the coffee when bottling. Vanilla will depend, if you are using beans then I would add them after oaking but before bottling. If you are adding extract then add it with the coffee at bottling.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #102
Gofastr1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdecinces View Post
This thread has been an excellent resource. But I have some additional questions regarding an English-style barleywine, I am considering aging.

OG - 1.104
FG - 1.024
IBU - 85 (East Kents and Brewers Gold for bittering; East Kents for aroma/flavor)
SRM - 14

It has been sitting in secondary since late May with the plan to bottle it in September or October for Christmas gifts. I've stolen a couple of tastes from the carboy and it reminds me of a smooth scotch, which initially put this idea in my head; this thread only sealed the deal. The plan would be to rack off 1-1.5 gallons of the brew in to a couple growlers during bottling and age on oak chips for a couple months longer. These would be a limited spring 2012 release for my nearest and dearest. I want a slight to medium effect from the oak. I've already settled on French oak (unless anyone wants to convince me otherwise), but I want to know what kind of char I should get so I can my desired effect for this beer. Also, I was thinking about 0.5 oz/gallon. Is that a good guess?

I know I have lots of time to figure this out, but I'm the kind of person who likes to have all of his bases covered ahead of time. Thank you for all the work put in thus far and all the answers I am (hopefully) to get.
Never bumped a year old post - but it IS a barleywine... what did you go with and how did it turn out? I've got 5g of barleywine cool conditioning for about 2 months now, am going to oak age all or part using spirals, and appreciate thoughts on what oak to use (American or French, and toast level) and how much.

My barleywine is an all grain recipe based roughly on what I could learn of Old Foghorn and Alaskan's Pilot Series BW:
OG: 1.113
FG: 1.026
IBU: ~ 65 (all US cascade)
Dry hopped w/2.5 oz mix of US and NZ cascade.

In spite of how big this is (almost 12% ABV), this was nicely balanced at time of dry hopping.

I was thinking about starting with 3/4oz of rum soaked French spiral, medium toast, (plan to drink the soaking rum, not add to beer) and letting it condition on the spiral for another few months before bottling, but LHB shop suggested American medium toast. I want very subtle oak flavors, so if more oak is necessary later, I'd add it... but that might try my patience!
Old 09-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #103
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I just wanted to thank the OP, this whole thread was a useful introduction to wood aging.

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), HT twist
Primary - Lambic!

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Old 10-31-2012, 01:05 AM   #104
tgmartin000
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Just wanted to chime in here....on 1/1/12 I brewed Janet's brown ale...sort of. I overshot the og to about 1.092. On about may 1, I added 1.75 oz med toast cubes. Bottled on 9/2/12. Drank my first after about a month in the fridge.

I've only had that one, but I only got slight to negligible oak. But only having one so far, the verdict is still very out. Excellent beer, regardless.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #105
scaesare
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default secondary in oak barrel

Good thread.

I just bought a 6gal oak barrel that had been used to hold bourbon and to age beers and a barley wine. Not sure what type of oak.

I have a smoked porter in glass for a 2 week primary fermentation right now. Thinking of a one week secondary in the barrel after conditioning it with some bourbon.

Will report back when done...

-sc

Old 12-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #106
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaesare View Post
Good thread.

I just bought a 6gal oak barrel that had been used to hold bourbon and to age beers and a barley wine. Not sure what type of oak.

I have a smoked porter in glass for a 2 week primary fermentation right now. Thinking of a one week secondary in the barrel after conditioning it with some bourbon.

Will report back when done...

-sc
Well if it had bourbon in there then it has to be white american oak.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #107
scaesare
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
Well if it had bourbon in there then it has to be white american oak.
Ah, ok... didn't know that. Thanks.

of course, the barrel was owned by "some guy" (a home brewer) on craigslist... and he was the one who kept bourbon in it.. so I hope HE knew that.

-sc

Old 12-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #108
smokinghole

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 10

It's probably still white American oak, but who knows if it came from a homebrewer. The legal definition of bourbon does specify a charred new white American oak barrel though.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #109
Oceantendency
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanneltrees804 View Post
I looked through the thread and didn't see anything about using staves but I think they could be really useful. I am about to come into 6 carboys and want to start developing a good sour program and do some blending in the future. I found a place that sells barrels, heads and staves so I can just get a stave or two, cut them down to just a few inches and put them right into secondary... anyone have feedback? Bad idea? Waste of time? Better than sliced bread?
One of my LBHS carried a French Oak Stave, I bought the last one. I toasted by soaking in water then placing on Aluminum Foil, baked in the Oven for about 15-20 min @ 170*, 2 weeks in my secondary aging an Old Ale; it gave a beautifuly smooth toasted vanilla tinge to it and was outstanding. I soaked in water, dried out and placed in a zip lock. I reused the stave for my Aigi Dubbley recipe. But since it was used before I soaked again for awhile in fresh filtered water, toasted @170* for about 15 min and placed in my secondary for 3 weeks. Haven't cracked open a bottle yet, but tasted good upon bottling. I'll know come Jan/Feb when it starts getting ready.

I was contemplating toasting some Apricot or Necterine Wood and soaking in some Cinnamon Whiskey before toasting and placing into my Fall Harvest Saison. I might attempt on some straight base malt as an experiment. I could just keep some wort from a starter to experiment with.

Cronical: Mosaic Tripel
Primary 5gal bucket: Canada Draft experiment
bottle:Mosaic Tripel, Honey/Vanilla Hefe, Honey Nelson Saison,Pale Blood moon Ale, Rosemary Blondie, Dunkelweisen bomb, O'Connor Red, Biere de Boucher, Honey Nelson Saison, Monk Tophula's Quad, and Aigi Dubbley
On Tap:Mosaic Tripel and Honey/Vanilla Hefe

Old 11-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #110
millsbrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Is there more information on maintaining a barrel? I am in the process of buying one but will not be able to use it for a month or two.

Thanks

On Tap: Belgian Dubbel, Cinco De Spice-o, and Dry Cider
Primary: West Coast IPA

Quick Reply