Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Tips on keeping the Mrs. happy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #111
stamandster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPC View Post
She's very cool about it. My buddies wife is a pretty big Nazi about it. He lives up in Bangor, Me so brewing with him is like trying to hide a cookie in bed when your 6. Makes for some good stories though.
Stories I'm sure we'd all love to hear

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #112
Eighty2Fifty1
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
i take it you don't run a business... fixed costs need to be spread out over their lifetime (or amortization period )

THAT's the way to do it! nice one
Don't you ruin this with logic!

Brew gear is anxiously awaiting my return.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #113
Komodo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Follow up on the shower washing: use regular Soft Scrub, and do a good job. This bit will require actual labor. THEN use the Star San, but use a mop and just cover everything over and over so you make sure it's been saturated for awhile. Then just run water in the tub and use the mop to rinse off everything. It'll stay nice for awhile. DON'T REUSE THE STARSAN FOR BREWING!

Old 03-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #114
chalkdust41485
This is no hobby....
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Default Priorities

I just make sure that I get most of the chores done the day before I brew, like mowing the grass, cleaning the house. This way my SWMBO is in a much better mood when I'm brewing. She normally gets involved by helping me out by stirring, grabbing a bowl, etc.

Sadly, my SWMBO doesn't like beer, but likes wine and cider, so I guess I'll have to make room in my brew schedule for a cider for her.

She has really taken an interest in my brewing after she found out that she can make bread and dog treats from my spent grain! Now, I can use it as an excuse to brew more often! She was so excited that she wants to make tons of dog treats to send to all of our friends. Plus, it makes more efficient use of the grains; they become dual purpose!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” -- Ben Franklin

Primary: Rye Amber, Traditional Mead (Fresh Blackberries after first transfer)
Keg 1: Rub My Belly (EdWort's Pale Ale)
Keg 2: Dog House (Strong Ale)
Bottled: Dog Haus (Pale Ale), Wagging Tail (Sam Adams Boston Ale-ish), Muddy Paws (Oatmeal Stout), Raging Rabies 2.0 (11.0% IIPA)

Old 03-29-2012, 05:59 PM   #115
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkdust41485 View Post
I just make sure that I get most of the chores done the day before I brew, like mowing the grass, cleaning the house. This way my SWMBO is in a much better mood when I'm brewing.
If I'm brewing, I'm usually cooking lunch or dinner for her at the same time. It's a good way to disguise the brew mess as 'the mess necessary to make you a nice meal'.

Also find a beer she likes. I never thought I'd ever see my SWMBO ask for an IPA but I finally found one she likes. Now she is talking about how mad she'll be when the keg runs out and another isn't there to replace it.

Try Simcoe -- SWMBO loves Simcoe
Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 03-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #116
chalkdust41485
This is no hobby....
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhamilton

If I'm brewing, I'm usually cooking lunch or dinner for her at the same time. It's a good way to disguise the brew mess as 'the mess necessary to make you a nice meal'.

Also find a beer she likes. I never thought I'd ever see my SWMBO ask for an IPA but I finally found one she likes. Now she is talking about how mad she'll be when the keg runs out and another isn't there to replace it.

Try Simcoe -- SWMBO loves Simcoe
Yeah. She's more into the fruity stuff. I had a pale ale that had a peach note on a sample during bottling that she seemed to like. Unfortunately (for her), the peach smell faded and couldn't be tasted. I'm sure if I make a beer with some nice fruity hops and not too much bitter that she'll like it.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” -- Ben Franklin

Primary: Rye Amber, Traditional Mead (Fresh Blackberries after first transfer)
Keg 1: Rub My Belly (EdWort's Pale Ale)
Keg 2: Dog House (Strong Ale)
Bottled: Dog Haus (Pale Ale), Wagging Tail (Sam Adams Boston Ale-ish), Muddy Paws (Oatmeal Stout), Raging Rabies 2.0 (11.0% IIPA)

Old 03-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #117
EllisTX
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Our kitchen is always a wreck. When I brew the kitchen is usually left clean for once since I have to clean to use it then clean when I'm done.

One thing that helps is that I've pulled her away from Bud Light Lime and Blue Moon to drinking homebrewed pale ales.

"La La La Lo Lo Lo Luuuke, Luuuke, I am your father, Lo Lo Lo Lu Lu Lu"- Chris Farley

Quick Reply