Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Tips on keeping the Mrs. happy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Boek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tips on keeping the Mrs. happy

I know many homebrewers who have managed to permanently offend their women with their brewing habits. Something about the smell, the mess, the time, the alcohol and other factors that accompany homebrewing that tend to be a bit of a turnoff.

I am new to this and don't want to go down that lonely road. Any tips?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
mcarb
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Become completely incompetent at everything else in your home life. Screw it up immensely. But when you brew beer, do it well. She will ask you to brew just to stay out of her hair.

This method has worked well for me. Of course, I figured it out by accident.

Primary: Flanders Brown Ale, Pliny the Rye
Secondary: Prickly Pear Sour Pale, Cranberry Mead
In Bottle: Choco Chili Porter, Dyslexia Beglian Tripel
On Tap: Haus Pale Ale, Irish Red, Eggnog Stout,

sarsnavy05 Likes This 
Old 03-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Encourage her to find a hobby too.

...and remember it's just a hobby. Be intentional about showing her that she comes first (e.g., work on honeydo list before brewing, don't skip date-night to brew, don't skimp on helping around the house...) If she views it as your escape from real life, she'll grow bitter toward it. If she views it as filling you with passion & excitement, she'll be excited for you, even if she doesn't give a rip about brewing. At least that's my experience.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium
Encourage her to find a hobby too.

...and remember it's just a hobby. Be intentional about showing her that she comes first (e.g., work on honeydo list before brewing, don't skip date-night to brew, don't skimp on helping around the house...) If she views it as your escape from real life, she'll grow bitter toward it. If she views it as filling you with passion & excitement, she'll be excited for you, even if she doesn't give a rip about brewing. At least that's my experience.
Me too, I've made a point on brewing weekends to get up and do as much as I can early in the morning while she sleeps in. Usually we take turns walking the dog in the morning on weekends but I've found doing little stuff like this goes a long way. It's also a heck of a lot easier to do it all with out her coming in/out of the kitchen etc but I don't say it that way haha. Sounds much better "I'll wake up early so you don't have to deal with it and I don't waste the whole day". Works great because I usually wake up early on brew day out of excitement anyway!
You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
jfrank85
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Smell and mess are the two biggies. Countered those with on the fly clean up and candles, lots of candles.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #6
thepartsmancometh
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts

I'm lucky, my wife doesn't mind as long as I clean up after myself. Her biggest complaint is when I leave carboys/buckets/ etc. tying up the kitchen counter or bathtub.

She even helps me bottle!

Of course, brewing is normally on Sunday after the housework and whatnot is done

Old 03-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
tchfunkta
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Rule #1, set firm dates and times for brewing. When she knows I'm brewing, the expectation is set that it's the only thing I will be doing during that time. She used to come down to my garage and see me sitting, listening to music and drinking and thought,"well, I guess he can do other stuff instead of just sitting and getting drunk. Looks like a whole lot of watching" I just educated her on the brewing process and how relaxing is an important aspect

Rule #2, about every 4 batches I ask her what fruity concoction she wants for me to brew for her. I brew it, she drinks it over the course of 2 months, we're good.

Rule #3, she never see's any of my brew stuff as getting in the way. I clean it up promptly and try to contain it as much as possible to my brew garage.

Rule #4, Frequently show her my ridiculous graph that shows how much money I have spend all-time on brewing vrs. what I would have spent on commercial brews or brews on tap at a bar. ( It's kind of fun to show that a hobby has saved me well over $5000 over the past 3 years....)

Given these rules, peace is maintained.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
brewsme
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Do everything out doors. Ever since I've switched to all grain everything I do is out doors and out of the kitchen. She loves my hobby now!

Old 03-05-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
shutupjojo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My wife usually leaves me with the kids and takes off to the mall. My system is
pretty hands off so that helps.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
DonNowlin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 taking the kids during brew day (it teaches them a useful skill too), brewing her fruity beer and doing it all outside.

Quick Reply