Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Tips for hurrying a beer through the process?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
johngaltsmotor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I've never tried it, but if I were in such a rush I'd be tempted to go with pressurized fermentation. Ferment in a corny with a pressure regulator blowoff to maintain volumes of CO2 you want in the finished product. That way when you rack off it will already be carbonated. You will be able to give yourself the most time to ferment and clarify that way.
You'd need a few new parts, but that's the way a lot of German breweries do it to conform to the Reinheitsgebot and I've heard comments that it's pretty straightforward from a few German homebrewers who do the same.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 383 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin-Jay View Post
Good advice folks, thanks! It seems like I'm thinking along the same line as most so far.

I am a bit concerned that the 1.062 OG is a bit high for a quick turn around, but I've already got a light lager on tap and didn't want to make another beer that was too similar.
Your schedule sounds great. 21 days is pretty standard grain to glass time for me. Shouldn't be a problem for a 1.062 beer.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 831

I do it all the time. We just kicked a keg Saturday night of beer I made on 9/29. It was 27 days old when it was gone!

A couple of keys- keep fermentation temperature under control! That recipe calls for S04? If that's what you're using, make sure it stays under 65 degrees or it gets weirdly estery and needs some age to mellow. If you're using liquid, make sure to pitch three packages or a properly sized starter and keep it at the proper temperature as well.

Pitching temperature is crucial- chill the wort to 62 or so, and pitch the proper amount of yeast, and then let it rise up to your fermentation temperature (probably 65 degrees).

Using S04, the beer will clear within two days of reaching FG, and it can be kegged then.

Fishin-Jay Likes This 
Old 10-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 831

I just re-read your post, and you asked us to share stories of our quickest grain-to-glass beers. One that sticks in my mind is an English mild.

We did a beer swap of milds a few years ago, and the rule was we had to ferment, carb, and ship out our beer on day 10.

Here's the thread:http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f38/project-10der-mild-10-milds-10-days-month-10-a-77758/

I've done it since with other beers, but that is the one that sticks out in my mind the most. A great tasting beer, swapped to others, and all on day 10. That is really what started opening my eyes to making beers properly and then not needing to give them weeks (months!) to age out.

A well made beer shouldn't need time to age out. You see "born on" dates and "drink by" dates on most commercial beers. Sure, a few beers need some time to come together, but that is rare. A well made "regular" beer should be drinkable much quicker than many people seem to think.

Fishin-Jay Likes This 
Old 10-29-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
chuckstout
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 216 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 195

You got this like yopper said keep your fermentation under control. I would also say to agate the fermenter a couple times on day one and two. Then you could bump the temp up to 68-70 at the end to make sure its finished.
Plus you could force carb for about 10 minutes and then let sit cold 32f for a day or two at a 25-30psi and for a winter warmer that should be darn close.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #16
dyqik
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brew a real(ish) ale - e.g. a best bitter or ESB. Ferment with WLP002/WY1968 (using a correctly sized starter) for 1 week in primary at 64-68F, then naturally carb in the keg for a week, and it'll be ready to put on gas at a low pressure for serving at around 55F. Gives you a week of grace for extra aging if required (best spent letting it clear and continue carbing at 55F.

I've got some of my beers to a reasonably carbed state in bottles in 3 weeks - 10-14 days in primary, bottle, and had good carbonation in 1 week at 70F. They're further carbed and less green after another week, but acceptable in 1 week. Longest I've taken is 4-5 weeks for a saison with 3711.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #17
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 18

21 days is no problem. Hell, I bottle my beers and I can still squeeze one in under that time limit. My suggestions:

1) Keep the ABV down. 1.060 OG or less. Gives the yeast less distance to travel.
2) Make a beer with big strong flavors, like a dry stout. That way if the beer is a bit green early on, it'll be covered up.
3) No secondary additions. ie. fruit, dry hopping, etc. Too much time.
4) Make sure you've got a super healthy pitch, lots of oyxgen, fresh yeast, some nutrient, and a nice big starter.

That's all I got. I turned around a coconut porter in 21 days from grain to glass last month (including bottle carbing) following those rules and it was great.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #18
Fishin-Jay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Great encouragement everyone! Now it isn't feeling like so much of a rush. I ferment in a chest freezer with a brew belt and a 2 stage temp controller so I'm sure I can keep the fermentation in the zone as I have always done in the past. Cooling below my pitch temp is great advice I hadn't ever seen before so I'll be following Yooper's advice. Thanks again!

There's a thin line between fishing and standing on the shore swinging a stick around like an idiot...

Quick Reply