Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Tips On Dry-Hopping

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 04:24 AM   #1
banjopicker16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Tips On Dry-Hopping

So, I re-used some bad yeast on a second batch (I didnt know it was bad til after the fact) of beer. This yeast was conatiminated by wild yeast and had the marker/hospital phenols associated with it. By the time my second batch hit secondary, I knew I had to cover up the infection... with dry hopping Cascade.

Just a tip, 1 oz. dry hopping will be fine. The beer is great! And I definitely dont notice any conatimination, but I dry-hopped with 2 oz. Using this much has created unnecessary problems.

1) Using this much dry-hop has given me too much tannin (I know this happens with dry-hops, but this can be avoided at this level.)

2) It probably soaked a lot of beer.

3)I spent an hour, plus about a pitcher of beer trying to get my kegs "un-clogged" with dry-hops which, somehow miraculously, got transfered from the secondary.

Lesson, 1 oz. dry-hop is enough.

Although, I must say, my beer is great with a WONDERFUl citrus/grapefruit aroma.

Primary: lazyday BarleyWine
Primary: 50/50 Bavarian Hefeweizen
Bottled/ Drinking- Infected ESB
Kicked: Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2007, 05:14 AM   #2
Willsellout

Recipes 

well, I just tossed in 2 oz of cascade into my secondary..although mine is an IPA so it should be hoppy...plus I love an IPA that kind of knocks your socks off as soon as you take a whiff

Dan

Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein

Old 03-24-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
debtman7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I always do 2 oz with pale ale's and IPA's and have never had a problem (other than soaking up twice as much beer...)

Old 03-24-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

If you dry-hop in kegs, either use bags or put a strainer on the takeup pipe. You can buy them, but a piece of SS braid will do the job.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-25-2007, 03:03 AM   #5
banjopicker16
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No, I dont dry hop in kegs, just secondary fermenter. Oh man, does it smell great, but Im tired of eating hops

Primary: lazyday BarleyWine
Primary: 50/50 Bavarian Hefeweizen
Bottled/ Drinking- Infected ESB
Kicked: Pale Ale

Old 03-25-2007, 11:48 AM   #6
debtman7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjopicker16
No, I dont dry hop in kegs, just secondary fermenter. Oh man, does it smell great, but Im tired of eating hops
How are you moving it out of secondary? I've never noticed any make it to the kegs. I dry hop in secondary with whole hops and they just float on the top. I use an autosiphon, or if I'm in a bucket, the spigot. I just suck out from under the hops and stop when the hops get down to the drain level.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjopicker16
1) Using this much dry-hop has given me too much tannin (I know this happens with dry-hops, but this can be avoided at this level.)
I think you can get a grassy effect if you dry hop too long. I think about 2 weeks is the limit.

Hopefully your dry hopping can cover up the problem until your batch is gone or keep whatever it was at bay until its gone. I had a batch of kolsch that seem to worsen with time. The good thing was I was the only one who could tell this. Me being overly critical? I don't know...

BS Nano-Brewery

Primary: SNPA Clone, Apfelwein
2ndary: Empty
Drinking: Dead Ringer IPA, Ma Duece (50 caliber) - Malt Liquor, Cranberry Wheat
Next: Cali-Common, American Amber, Smoked to Helles

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Quick Reply