Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Tips for Brewing in Winter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
rivertranced
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Tips for Brewing in Winter

Despite the dragging of my feet, the winter is almost here. We've already had 2 solid snowfalls in Denver, and there will be plenty more on the way.

I finally switched over this summer to all-grain brewing, and it's not going to be as easy to brew during the winter as it was in the partial boil and extract days of yesteryear. Formerly, I could do all my cleaning right in my kitchen. I could also chill my wort in the kitchen sink (I still use an IC).

I'm working on a 3 keggle system now, and they are cumbersome to haul in the house, and tend to be a little messier. This summer I brewed outside and used my garden hose to do all of my rinsing and to chill my wort. This winter I'll brew in my garage.

I'm wondering if anyone has any solid tips or techniques for brewing with large equipment during the winter, if you don't have a giant sink basin in the garage. Specifically, how do people deal with cleaning and chilling?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1578 Times on 1193 Posts
Likes Given: 2839

LEAVE any doors well open and remove any gasoline etc. before firing up in the garage.

I like to cool in a kiddie pool with a towel to set the pot on (so as to not melt the pool)

Or if you use the hose for an immersion chiller, what is the problem?

Hose running in the kiddie pool helps convection, let it run over (preferably downhill from the house.)

Old 11-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Get some winter brewing equipment...lol. Seriously though I live in a 1/2 duplex.I mash in a 10G igloo cooler do my boils outside on a banjo burner. I chill my wort with an immersion chiller hooked up to the hose. Running water does not freeze.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2640 Times on 2068 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Do you rent or own your home? I've been wanting to do research on this, and if anyone has any info I'd love to have it, but I've heard that if you fire a propane burner inside your garage and accidently burn your house down that insurance companies won't pay.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #5
zman

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Do you rent or own your home? I've been wanting to do research on this, and if anyone has any info I'd love to have it, but I've heard that if you fire a propane burner inside your garage and accidently burn your house down that insurance companies won't pay.
When I lived in the burbs and had a garage I would open it 1/3 of the way and put the banjo close to the opening. Did this for 2 winters and never had an issue

Old 11-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
kosmokramer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I wouldnt know, I live sunny southern california

Old 11-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
bottlebomber
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman

When I lived in the burbs and had a garage I would open it 1/3 of the way and put the banjo close to the opening. Did this for 2 winters and never had an issue
I haven't had an issue either, but it still is something I'd like to know more about. I don't know how disciplined you are about staying put while the burner is going, but I have been known to putter around doing other things while the sparge water is heating up etc. I just want to know what all is involved should disaster strike. I should probably just call AAA but then they'd probably put me on some kind of a "list".

Old 11-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #8
zman

Recipes 

as long as the burner is in a ventilated area. I am sure it would be ok. IF you really need to know you can always ask the landlord and or check with your local FD and renters insurance co if you carry a policy

Old 11-10-2011, 11:47 PM   #9
bottlebomber
Recipes 

I own my place... I've heard people on here that had landlords that were against it, and some that were cool about it. I guess I'll have to call around.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:53 AM   #10
Surly
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
I take the insurance thing seriously. Maybe the insurance company would pay, maybe not. I am not willing to take that chance. Sure, if they refuse you could sue. But a turkey fryer demonstration to any judge or jury would end that effort, IMHO.

Quick Reply