Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Tiny batch size
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
helgibelgi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Posts: 40
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Tiny batch size

I want to make (for fun only) a really tiny batch, like 1 liter or so of beer

I got this idea here on HBT somewhere, can't find the thread now.

I want to create a competition around this for our brew-club here in Iceland.

I think doing only a 1 liter batch will force people to use different equipment/methods than normally for mashing/boiling/fermenting. Due to the extremely small batch size people will be able to use really unorthodox tools and equipment for the steps involved.

So I wanted to hear your ideas, how would you do this?

Also, what style would you go for?

(I'm thinking about doing an Eisbock myself for this. I will actually make 2 liters and end up with around a liter after ice-concentration)

__________________
helgibelgi is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 03:11 AM   #2
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,063
Liked 187 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Default

I'd do BIAB on my stove. Mash in a 2 quart pot. Probably use a 1 gallon paint strainer bag. Boil in the same pot. Would need a better scale for that small of hop additions. Cool in sink in ice bath. Ferment in a half gallon growler. There will be some waste when raking with a raking cane, but hopefully you'd get 2 bottles out of it. Use carb tablets to carb.

And I thought making a 2.5 gallon batch with 2 x 1 gallon secondaries was small.

__________________
-Matt
mtnagel is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
helgibelgi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Posts: 40
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
I'd do BIAB on my stove. Mash in a 2 quart pot. Probably use a 1 gallon paint strainer bag. Boil in the same pot. Would need a better scale for that small of hop additions. Cool in sink in ice bath. Ferment in a half gallon growler. There will be some waste when raking with a raking cane, but hopefully you'd get 2 bottles out of it. Use carb tablets to carb.

And I thought making a 2.5 gallon batch with 2 x 1 gallon secondaries was small.
I would do it similar I guess but I was thinking about actually using a gallon growler for the mash. Submerge (well almost) the growler in water in a 3 gallon pot on the stove. That way I could control the temperature of the water, and hence the mash, by turning the stove on/off. The water would act as a buffer I guess, so the mash itself won't heat up too high or too quickly.

For boiling, I would only need a gallon size pot at most. For cooling - ice bath in the sink would probably be the only option. My immersion chiller wouldn't fit the small pot.

For fermentation - a gallon growler will be perfect, even something smaller. I plan on submerging a growler in cold water for lager temperature. Keeping it cool with ice cubes.

After fermentation I plan on using the ice concentration method. I will put it in two 2-liter plastic coca cola bottles and in the freezer.
__________________
helgibelgi is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,063
Liked 187 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Default

For controlling mash temp, I've heard people put their pot in the oven with it turned on to the lowest temp if it will go that low or turning it on and off to maintain mash temp. That would be your best bet.

__________________
-Matt
mtnagel is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
helgibelgi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Posts: 40
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
For controlling mash temp, I've heard people put their pot in the oven with it turned on to the lowest temp if it will go that low or turning it on and off to maintain mash temp. That would be your best bet.
This is a good Idea. Using this method I could use mash in a bag in the pot. I could even take it out to do temperature readings and stirring and probably not lose too much heat. My oven goes to at least 50°C down so no problem reaching the right temperature. I imagine that reaching a mash out temp would also be really easy in the oven.
__________________
helgibelgi is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: utrecht, netherlands
Posts: 1,973
Liked 243 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

don't you think it's a lot of work for 1L of beer?? at the end you get 750 ml into the glass? why not go crazy and expand to 4L, since this can be mashed easily in a small BIAB bag and boiled in a normal kitchen pot, cooled in the sink, fermented in a wine jug, and the amount of work is almost exactly the same as for 1L? i'm really not trying to tell you what to do but it's nice to get more than a sip after all the effort! but i like the idea of a small batch competition!
(also small batches make yeast great starters for big batches!)

__________________
dinnerstick is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #7
helgibelgi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Posts: 40
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinnerstick View Post
don't you think it's a lot of work for 1L of beer?? at the end you get 750 ml into the glass? why not go crazy and expand to 4L, since this can be mashed easily in a small BIAB bag and boiled in a normal kitchen pot, cooled in the sink, fermented in a wine jug, and the amount of work is almost exactly the same as for 1L? i'm really not trying to tell you what to do but it's nice to get more than a sip after all the effort! but i like the idea of a small batch competition!
(also small batches make yeast great starters for big batches!)
Normally I try to make as much beer as possible with my system, so I totally agree with you about the 'amount of work vs. final output' mentality. But the whole idea with this competition is to FORCE people to try new (and ridiculous) techniques.

It's just for fun and to try to mix it up a little bit.
__________________
helgibelgi is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tiny tiny tiny leak - is my batch ruined? jessie02 Fermentation & Yeast 4 05-19-2012 07:11 AM
Best, affordable equipment needed for tiny-batch brewing? Shoegaze99 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 04-06-2011 08:25 PM
yeast starter size vs. batch size biestie General Beer Discussion 3 04-05-2011 02:00 AM
Size of Batch to Size of Fermenter For Blow Off Method and Dry Hopping AirBronto General Beer Discussion 9 02-19-2010 02:39 PM
IPA batch in my tiny condo kitchen Jersh Home Brewing Photo Forum 7 05-12-2009 12:26 AM



Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS