Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Thoughts on squeezing beer out of dry hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #21
bobbrews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavagai View Post
I add awful tasting spices (if I were to eat them straight) to my cooking all the time; makes it taste great. The only way we can know what impact the liquid will have in a beer is to taste it in a beer.
That's not the same thing. You're talking about high potency flavorings added in very small amounts and for the purposes of flavor building, not more end volume of the product. A more equivalent example would be the starter scenario I used previously... or if making 20 gallons of stock for soup and leaving all of the foamy, fatty scum atop the stock that definitely affects the end quality/flavor/clarity, instead of skimming out those impurities and possibly ending up with 1 qt. less stock.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #22
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstyle69 View Post
if your kegging, just put it in your keg. no big deal.
Same question though, when you pull it from the keg do you wring the beer out?

I do. My rational is this: C02 is heavier then 02. When the drops from the hop bag hit the beer surface, any splashing would be mixing co2 withe beer, not 02, and therefore mitigate any oxidation concerns.

That said, I turned a very clear DIPA into a very cloudy one by doing this just 2 days ago. I'm hoping the hop debris settles to the bottom of the keg and eventually it'll run clear again, but I also apparently have some hop debris blocking the diptube because it's pouring very slowly. I have thought of various fixes for this, but in the end, I'll just deal with a slow pour rather then mess with it anymore.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 93 batches and counting (as of 8/17/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #23
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavagai View Post
A better idea would be to pour a bit of the squeezed liquid into a finished beer
Sure, that works too. So long as you can isolate the flavors you've added.

I've done both ways and like the non-squeezed better in my finished beer.
But others may not. You may enjoy the harsh astringency it adds.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #24
Gavagai
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
That's not the same thing. You're talking about high potency flavorings added in very small amounts. A more equivalent example would be the starter scenario used above.... or if making 20 gallons of stock for soup and leaving all of the foamy, fatty scum atop the stock that definitely affects the end quality/flavor/clarity, instead of skimming out those impurities and possibly ending up with 1 qt. less stock.
Of course it's possible that squeezing has a negative impact. All I'm arguing is that you can't know that simply by tasting the liquid on its own. I wouldn't argue that one should skim soup simply by tasting the fatty scum—of course that won't taste nice! Instead I would look at differences in the finished product. If squeezing really does make a beer worse, then you should be able to detect that difference when the squeezed liquid is diluted in beer. I don't know what the answer is, because I haven't done the test yet. Why not try it?

Quote:
Sure, that works too. So long as you can isolate the flavors you've added.

I've done both ways and like the non-squeezed better in my finished beer.
But others may not. You may enjoy the harsh astringency it adds.
Well, you could taste the beer with/without the liquid side by side, of course.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #25
bobbrews
Recipes 

The simple and factual case in point is that the residual liquid squeezed from a used hop bag does taste different/worse than the actual finalized beer. And I do know that by tasting the liquid on its own. So why reintroduce that to your beer?

I have done it in the past. Like TyTanium and others have said, it offers a harsh astringency and clouds up your beer.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #26
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Recipes 

Quote:
The simple and factual case in point is that the residual liquid squeezed from a used hop bag does taste different/worse than the actual finalized beer. And I do know that by tasting the liquid on its own. So why reintroduce that to your beer?

I have done it in the past. Like TyTanium and others have said, it offers a harsh astringency and clouds up your beer.

I don't know how factual your last sentence is. It seems pretty subjective to me. If it were so simple you could easily justify leaving hops out of your brews completely because when you eat one, it tastes bad.

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 93 batches and counting (as of 8/17/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #27
bobbrews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
I don't know how factual your last sentence is. It seems pretty subjective to me.
It's an objective observation... but I guess the big variable would be, how hard/how much are you squeezing the bag? And how much of that murky bitter liquid is going into your final beer?

Quote:
If it were so simple you could easily justify leaving hops out of your brews completely because when you eat one, it tastes bad.
Again, not the same thing/comparison. In the dryhop scenario, there are obviously good flavors/aromas that are being offered from these hops. But squeezing the bag for every piece of liquid left does not offer more of that "good" flavor/aroma. All the goodness that has been offered by these dryhops is already in your beer. Your additional squeezing is doing more harm than good by adding a very concentrated form of a hop liquid-beer combo, full of tiny particulates, harsh tannins and compounds. Will it F up your beer to the point of being undrinkable? No, unless you're squeezing results in a significant amount of liquid. Will the beer have been of higher quality if you did not squeeze out an additional quart of used murky bitter hop liquid and then reintroduce it to your beer? Of course... Like I said, I choose quality over quantity.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #28
TyTanium
Recipes 

Quote:
...because when you eat [a hop], it tastes bad.
Matter of opinion

Quote:
but I guess the big variable would be, how hard/how much are you squeezing the bag? And how much of that murky bitter liquid is going into your final beer?
Very true. Even loose the hops will still drain some when the liquid level falls. Even moreso if bagged and the bag is removed (it will drip). And more still if the bag is allowed to drain. I've found all three of these options to be acceptable. But physically squeezing the bag results in a new animal (again, in my experience)...it's very cloudy, harsh and astringent, and was noticeable in the finished beer. My sample size is way too small to be anything other than anecdotal, but hopefully it can help guide other's judgement.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #29
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Recipes 

^ Fair enough guys. I just started squeezing because I don't like losing pints at a time from my finished batch, but like I mentioned above, I may have taken a beautiful and delicious beer recently and turned it into a cloudy mess.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #30
TyTanium
Recipes 

JB - the way I "tested" it was this:

Pulled out the bag (w/o squeezing) and kept it in a sanitized bowl. Started bottling my batch as normal. When I had a gallon left, I added some of the squeezed bag juice to it. Finished carbing & tasted side by side.

Done it a few different times, and liked the unsqueezed version better. Unscientific with small sample size, but that's what I found. Give it a go and see what you like.

Edit: Also, the squeezing didn't give me that much more, maybe 8-12 oz max.

Quick Reply