The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Thoughts on squeezing beer out of dry hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
dcocch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

As a new brewer I am confused about the comments about the smallest thing causing oxidation and the threads by Revvy saying oxidation isn't that big of an issue (here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/bott...idized-161384/)

One thread makes it seem like the tiniest mistake will result in skunked pee water, and another thread (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/what...t-great-96780/) with all sorts of crazy mistakes and the beer turned out fine.

I mean...how can squeezing hops cause oxidation but using the auto siphon as a pump NOT cause oxidation?

Drinking:True Brew Pale Ale
Varmintman Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #12
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Toss your dryhops in loose and you won't feel the need of squeezing said bag. Hop particulates can be kept out of the bottling bucket by wrapping a nylon mesh bag around the end of the auto-siphon.

If you must bag your dryhops, then siphon directly from the primary until you cannot siphon any longer. What was meant to be siphoned will now be in your bottling bucket.

Why would you want to squeeze out the residuals of a wet sack of cloudy ass, yeast-coated hops that could F up your beer's quality, flavor, and clarity? You just have to ask yourself... "Quantity over Quality, or vice versa?"

Old 01-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
looneybomber
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post

Why would you want to squeeze out the residuals of a wet sack of cloudy ass, yeast-coated hops that could F up your beer's quality, flavor, and clarity? You just have to ask yourself... "Quantity over Quality, or vice versa?"
I think that's what the OP is asking - if it will "F up" the beer, and if so, how/why?
Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Old 01-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #14
RIC0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Squeezing any kind of "bag" usually results in things you don't like so that is all I have to say about that.

*** Possum Trot Brewery ***

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Old 01-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
Toss your dryhops in loose and you won't feel the need of squeezing said bag. Hop particulates can be kept out of the bottling bucket by wrapping a nylon mesh bag around the end of the auto-siphon.

If you must bag your dryhops, then siphon directly from the primary until you cannot siphon any longer. What was meant to be siphoned will now be in your bottling bucket.

1. No bottling only kegging
2. Beer was cold crashed for 3 days at 32°F, yeast collected during transfer was minimal.
3. will cold crash again before kegging to drop as much material/residual yeast out of secondary fementers

Basically, I want to regain the volume lost by absorption to the hops.

I asked the question because I struggle to see how it could harm the beer, but I really don't know if is has the possibility of causing any problemsin the final beer (other than possible oxidation.)

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 01-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #16
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 542 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Next time squeeze the bag into a glass and take a sip. Then ask yourself if that's something you'd like in your beer.

For me, the answer is no.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #17
Gavagai
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't think that's a fair test. There are lots of things that we don't like concentrated but like very much at lower concentrations. A better idea would be to pour a bit of the squeezed liquid into a finished beer, like a neutral-ish pale ale. I haven't tried this, but I think I will next time I dry hop with whole hops.

The real question, as I see it, is whether squeezing the bag extracts unwanted compounds. It's hard for me to believe that it does, considering that we use ground hops (pellets) without worrying about overextraction. Of course, it's conventional wisdom that leaving dry hops in for too long will result in grassy flavors, but I wonder if this is truly a case of simple overextraction, or if it involves some sort of chemical change in the hops themselves as they sit in the beer.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #18
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I see what you're saying Gavagai, but it kind of is fair if you think about how you would be adding something awful-tasting to something great-tasting for the sole concept of having more of it. It will affect the final product's quality for the worse in some way, whether big or small.

In a loose sense, it would be kind of like pitching the whole 2 liters of starter instead of just the slurry. If you're willing to affect the flavor/quality in order to have 2 liters more beer, then good for you... not something I would do though.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #19
cclloyd

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 71

OK - speaking from experience here - it won't hurt your beer, or I should say, it doesn't hurt MY beer. I dry hop with loose (not in a bag) wholeleaf hops regularly and when I go to rack to a bucket (or keg now that I'm kegging woohoo!!) I use a sanitized wire mesh strainer with a handle to scoop out the loose hops and I use (horror of horrors) my sanitized hand to press the absorbed beer out of the hops through the strainer. You effectively retain most of the absorbed beer and get the most tasty goodness out of the dry hops. I'm sure others won't or don't agree and that is fine - you make it your way and I'll make it mine. Just my $0.02.....

Old 01-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #20
Gavagai
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
I see what you're saying Gavagai, but it kind of is fair if you think about how you would be adding something awful-tasting to something great-tasting for the sole concept of having more of it. It will affect the final product for the worse in some way, whether big or small.
I add awful tasting spices (if I were to eat them straight) to my cooking all the time; makes it taste great. The only way we can know what impact the liquid will have in a beer is to taste it in a beer.

Quick Reply