Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Thoughts on my FWH experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Odin_Brews
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Thoughts on my FWH experiment

THere's a lot of talk about moving a 20 minute addition to FWH and leave the bittering hop there, and a lot of talk moving the 60 to FWH and having no bittering addition. So the plan is to brew the same pale ale 3 times and see what comes out of it (5.5 gallon batch). Here's the hop schedule(s);

2/3 oz Columbus 60
2/3 oz Centennial 20
2/3 oz Columbus 5
2/3 oz Centennial 5

Brew #1 = as stated above
Brew #2 = move Columbus at 60 to a FWH
Brew #3 = move Centennial at 20 to FWH and leave the Columbus at 60 as well

I was originally looking to do this with an IPA but thought I better tone it down to something more simple so you can really taste the differences between. I dont want too many hops covering up the effects of the FWH.

My biggest fear is that #3 will be overly bitter and unbalanced. Any thoughts or opinions on the potential outcome? Anything you might do different?

Im off to brew #1 now, Thanks and Cheers!

I forgot! Happy Turkey Day! I live overseas and missed the day of eating too much with family and friends, I guess there's always next Thursday (noone here will know the difference). So have a chunk of Turkey for me

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 04:02 AM   #2
kaz4121
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would recommend aiming for the same IBU levels in each beer to appropriately gauge the finished beer objectively.

Visit my website for the list of beers in progress

Old 11-23-2012, 04:10 AM   #3
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I like to FWH a lot of my beers. I think Beer #3 will be unbalanced with too much bittering. When I FWH my hopping schedule looks like Beer #2. I have been happy with the results.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two...02323289804018

Old 11-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Agreed with the others. You should adjust the IBUs as needed so they match. FWH gives a clean bitterness, but it bitters like a bittering addition, giving slightly MORE ibus than another addition of the same duration. Use Beersmith to calculate.

I've used FWH on tons and tons of batches. The aroma you get from it is far less than from a 20 minute addition, IMHO, but you should run your experiment and see for yourself. I use ONLY FWH for hop additions sometimes and the hops barely come through. It does come through, but not a helluva lot. From what I remember, many of the earlier tests of FWH were with super clean lagers, and hop perception in such a beer would be different than in a hoppy ale. I use FWH a lot for all styles and like it, but I haven't done direct comparison tests as you're doing here.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
Odin_Brews
Recipes 

In hindsight it would have been a lot to easier to adjust IBUs if I had used a lower alpha hop. Maybe Ill cut the FWH and Bittering in half and still use a 15 or 20 minute addition to round it out. What do you guys think of that? I guess it would come out kind of middle of the road a mix of the other two.

Im brewing the 2nd now.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Odin_Brews
Recipes 

Or if I went ahead as planned and hydro samples from #3 were overly bitter then could I just dry hop it? Or give it away to unsuspecting friends and tell them that's what we drink in the States!

Old 11-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

If I were to test it, I would brew a beer with ONLY FWH, no other hops and a beer with only a bittering hop and a 20 minute hop addition to remove any other variables that would give you hop character. If the only FWH beer isn't hoppy enough for you you can always dry hop it later to save it.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
Odin_Brews
Recipes 

That's a good idea. Exactly why in the beginning I took it from an IPA to a APA, thereby taking out some hops that would get in the way of the FWH taste. Taking it another step further, or like you said previously with super clean lagers, that would really 'showcase' the effect. Of course I can't do lagers as I have no temp control, but maybe a blonde or something....hmmm....

Old 11-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

It makes sense to ignore the ibus and test the 20 min-FWH and 60min-FWH additions equally because that's how people talk about them. I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
Odin_Brews
Recipes 

I like your thinking ApacheMaster. I always get caught up in hop schedules and can't decide what to do, this beer is no exception.

So Im going ahead as planned in the original post, I guess we'll see in about 6 weeks what comes out of this

Quick Reply