Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Thesis on Olive Oil Aeration method.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 08:52 PM   #1
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4962 Times on 4525 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Default Thesis on Olive Oil Aeration method.

http://www.brewcrazy.com/hull-olive-oil-thesis.pdf

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2008, 10:05 PM   #2
debaniel
Recipes 

very interesting...

and now my brain feels like mashed potatoes.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nice article. I'm reading it right now.

It makes me wonder if we would have been bashing this method if the findings would have come from an AB lab and not from New Belgium. If its a mirco brewery it seems to be ok to say an "increase in esters was considered by the brewery to be a positive change because of the potential to mask staling flavor compounds"

Kai

Old 03-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4962 Times on 4525 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser
Nice article. I'm reading it right now.

It makes me wonder if we would have been bashing this method if the findings would have come from an AB lab and not from New Belgium. If its a mirco brewery it seems to be ok to say an "increase in esters was considered by the brewery to be a positive change because of the potential to mask staling flavor compounds"

Kai
I personally find it to be inconclusive as the results show an increased fermentation time and an increase in ester production. Sure that may be fine for those beers but, what about Lagers?

Furthermore, it eludes to the fact that sterol production is inhibited, which may result in the higher ester formation, and that normally sterols are synthesized aerobically. Sure, New Belgiums lab division may be able to get some ergot fungus to introduce in minute amount to provide the sterols but what about us?

I think it is very interesting to read but don't see that I will be replacing my practice of oxygenation with EVOO infusions.

I may be a slow drinker but I have yet to be that slow that I need to worry about staling.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
Kaiser

Recipes 

The article got me thinking about my process though. I use the O2 wand to oxygenate the wort and get the whirlpool started at the same time. After that the wort may sit for 30min up to a few hours until I transfer to primary and pitch the yeast.

Since I'm oxidating the wort during that time I might be better off aerating immediately before adding the yeast. Not sure if that matters, but I do have a sporadic taste issue with my beer that I have not found the root cause for.

Kai

Old 03-04-2008, 11:50 PM   #6
Poindexter

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser
The article got me thinking about my process though. I use the O2 wand to oxygenate the wort and get the whirlpool started at the same time. After that the wort may sit for 30min up to a few hours until I transfer to primary and pitch the yeast.

Since I'm oxygenating the wort during that time I might be better off aerating immediately before adding the yeast. Not sure if that matters, but I do have a sporadic taste issue with my beer that I have not found the root cause for.

Kai
Kaiser, I have been trying to bend my brain around your "should I complicate my process thread" and now I am wondering if you could simplify it.

My whirlpool is how I aerate. My RIS at 1.082 took 3 weeks to primary, but it tastes great. I have a big pilsner going that started at 1.092, it hydrod at 1.022 yesterday and is starting a diacetyl rest on the way to crash cool even though i don't taste any diacetyl.

My "question" is could your brews be overoxygenated or overpitched? I am just asking, you are a much more sophisticated brewer than me.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:53 PM   #7
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Why does your wort sit for a few hours before you pitch your yeast? I normally, aerate just before I pitch. Any reason for the wait?

Old 03-04-2008, 11:54 PM   #8
mrkristofo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Neat find, thanks. I look forward to reading it when I'm not on HBT during a "study-break".

Conditioning: Dead Guy Ale clone, Double-Dubbel
Drinking: Not for a while

Old 03-05-2008, 12:01 AM   #9
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij Kabouter
Why does your wort sit for a few hours before you pitch your yeast? I normally, aerate just before I pitch. Any reason for the wait?
I need at least 30 min for the whirlpool rest. And since I'm fitting brewing into a family life I may not be able to attend my wort until the kids are in bed or other chores are taken care of. So far I thought it was safe to let the wort sit for a while. I don't worry about infection since I cool the wort while the lid is on and my lagers are chilled below 50 *F anyway which makes it very unlikely for an infection to take hold.

Kai

Old 03-13-2008, 01:42 AM   #10
mrkristofo

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

hahahaha...would somebody care to explain what a "Vidicinal Keytone" is?

Conditioning: Dead Guy Ale clone, Double-Dubbel
Drinking: Not for a while

Quick Reply