Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > thermometer calibration

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
killian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default thermometer calibration

I think I have read before that you should put a insulated cup with some ice in the refrigerator and then take the temp to check for 32 degrees and then check the temp for boiling water taking altitude in to account does this sound right? I have 3 thermometers and they all seem off and it is really not helping my process at all. any help here is appreciated.

damn I gotta brew something

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 09:16 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Alcohol boils at 172F, a very good checkpoint for brewing. Put some cheap vodka in a small pan (or a metal cup in a small pan). Heat slowly until the temperature stops increasing. This will occur when the alcohol starts boiling off at 172F. When all of the alcohol has boiled off, the temperature will start rising again until the water boils.

Everclear works even better.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-23-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
Tomfooleryxxx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Alcohol boils at 172F, a very good checkpoint for brewing. Put some cheap vodka in a small pan (or a metal cup in a small pan). Heat slowly until the temperature stops increasing. This will occur when the alcohol starts boiling off at 172F. When all of the alcohol has boiled off, the temperature will start rising again until the water boils.

Everclear works even better.
VERY DANGEROUS !!!!!! Alcohol Vapor is flammable akin to gasoline vapor. If you insist on doing this get the video recorder out and tape it so your next of kin can send it to stupid human tricks

Old 07-24-2008, 12:19 AM   #4
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

The freezing point calibration should be done with a cup of crushed ice and water-- using just ice cubes won't work well.

You should also not mess around with boiling alcohol-- it's dangerous an unnecessary. Use boiling water as a calibration instead.

-Steve

Planning: n/a

Old 07-24-2008, 12:39 AM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I did say "heat slowly", but some people can make anything dangerous.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-24-2008, 01:15 AM   #6
cwhill
Recipes 

I would love to know what others do for temperature verification/calibration. I have what I consider several good instruments (thermometers of different sorts). These are not cheapo ones either yet they all differ considerably. I have some that are as much as 10 degrees off! That is huge for a mash temp you might be using it for. I even have an infrared gun and that thing is suppose to be plus or minus .2 degrees. Not even close..Best I can tell? That thing is off by more than 15; Plus it is so subjective to where you are pointing it and getting temps from. Best I see so far are the old school floating thermometers (alcohol based) that your LHBS sells. These seem to be the most consistent among each other. I'd love to pick 2 of my own thermometers that are dead on and just stick with those but I have no real way to tell. Every recipe you read talks about mash temps of 151 - 155 and I think the reality of anyone ever really accurately measuring that is slim.

There are two rules for success in life:
1. Never tell anyone everything you know
Primary: Air
Secondary: Air
Bottled: BierMuncher's Centenial Blonde,Oatmeal Stout
Kegged: Centenial Blonde
On Deck:

Old 07-24-2008, 02:48 AM   #7
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have a floating thermometer and that is the one that I ended up going with when my probes were way out of wack.

damn I gotta brew something

Old 07-24-2008, 03:43 AM   #8
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I use a digital probe-style thermometer and I've never had any problems with it. It has a calibration set screw and is accurate enough for me-- certainly within +- 1 deg. F. I calibrate it with ice water and boiling water.

I use a floating thermometer for checking wort temperature while it cools, so accuracy isn't critical. I've never checked it though, so perhaps I will now.

-Steve

Planning: n/a

Old 07-24-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I was using a digital probe thermometer (the same one I cooked with) for the longest time until I bought a Ranco controller and it was reading 10 degrees less than the probe was. After that, I bought a 'laboratory' thermometer for the sensitive measurements (mash temp) and have been very happy with it.

My crappy probe thermometer also explains why all my steaks are overcooked.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:46 PM   #10
jcb317
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhill View Post
I even have an infrared gun and that thing is suppose to be plus or minus .2 degrees. Not even close..Best I can tell? That thing is off by more than 15; Plus it is so subjective to where you are pointing it and getting temps from.
Those IR guns are calibrated based on reflections off of black bodys(typically they are calibrated to 0.95). Essentially, the less reflective the object your measuring is the higher the value, 1 being max.

To correct for emissivity TempActual = (emissivityAssumed/emmisivityActual)^(1/4) * TempRead

Note: Temps are absolute(K)

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply