Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Is there a rule of thumb for aging based on O.G.?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 01:30 AM   #1
Jumbo82
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Is there a rule of thumb for aging based on O.G.?

I know that smallish beers tend to be better young, while big beers can require months or even years to mature. And from what I've gathered, simple recipes can often be drank younger than more complex recipes (lots of specialty grains) which can take longer for the flavors to mellow.

What I'm wondering is if there is a good rule of thumb for how long to age an ale based on its original gravity. For instance, I'll generally crack open my first bottle from a batch with O.G. 1.050 about 6 weeks after brew day. My barleywine (O.G. 1.102) is bulk aging and I don't think I'll have my first taste until 9 months or a year. Should I let my 1.070 stout age for 3 months before drinking? Should my 1.095 Imperial Stout go for 5 months first?

I plan to allow all of these beers to continue to mature after I start drinking them (I try to ration myself as best I can...), but is there any way to make an educated guess when I can start sampling them? I mean, it seems like it would be a waste to open any bottles that are clearly still green. Does anyone have a general rule they follow after brewing a bigish beer for the first time, or do people just go with their "gut" feeling? I know this might be a tough question because it will obviously vary between styles and whatnot. Maybe I should qualify it with "all other things being equal." Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2009, 01:39 AM   #2
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo82 View Post
I know that smallish beers tend to be better young, while big beers can require months or even years to mature. And from what I've gathered, simple recipes can often be drank younger than more complex recipes (lots of specialty grains) which can take longer for the flavors to mellow.

What I'm wondering is if there is a good rule of thumb for how long to age an ale based on its original gravity..
Not really. IPAs are generally fairly high gravity, but hops decay over time so they're best drunk pretty young. Many lambics are very low gravity but need a year or two (or more) to peak.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 04-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
TheTower
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would say its a combination of style and OG. Even low OG stouts and porters need more aging to allow all the flavors to blend and mature. Same with high OG simple recipies.

TreeTop Brewing

Primary:
Bottled: ESB, Belgian Pale, Belgian Dubbel, Pumpkin Ale, Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Chile Pepper Porter

Old 04-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Read my answer in here...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/big-...-table-110399/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-07-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 27 Posts

I usually follow this handy chart:

(Man, it's been a long time since I've been able to use that )

EvilTOJ Likes This 
Old 04-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by llazy_llama View Post
I usually follow this handy chart:

(Man, it's been a long time since I've been able to use that )

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #7
lowlife
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 33

That is one very nice chart Llama. I am going to print it out in case I need an estimate for when to bottle my beers.
=)

Old 04-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Yes Llama, I will never have another regarding aging time if I use your handy chart. I think I am going to print it now and keep it in my back pocket actually just so I don't forget.

On tap: #79 Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12, Flanders, Barleywine, Wild Blonde (1.045 blonde hopped up and fermented with WLP644), #80B rett Saison
Fermenting: #82 Galaxy IPA, #83 Black IPA
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Kriek, 1.052 12/11,

Old 04-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
TurboBrew
Recipes 

Thats going on the wall in my brew room.

I'm married to yeast.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #10
Jumbo82

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Thanks, Revvy! Exactly what I was looking for. I wish I had been able to find that thread before I started almost the exact same one. At least I got to see a handy O.G. vs time chart this way

Quick Reply