Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Is there a place for dry yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
BrewOnBoard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Is there a place for dry yeast?

For my first few batches I've used both dry yeast and smack packs. While I admit the smack packs are way more fun, they're also more expensive and difficult for someone with limited refrigeration abilities (me).

Is the general consensus that liquid yeast usually makes a better beer or are there some award winners that use dried yeast?

If it is so, are there any techniques I can use with dried yeast to help it come out as good as liquid?

BrewOnBoard

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 485 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Unless you're making something that needs a specific yeast (belgian beers and wits for example) dry yeasts are just fine! People brew award winning beers with dry yeast all the time. Most popular styles work great with them. Pale ales, IPA, stout, porter, brown ale, anything like that.

Even with high OG beers, they're great. You don't have to buy a smack pack and make a starter and step it up and all that. You just just buy two or three packs of dry yeast, hydrate them while you brew and pitch 'em in to get your proper cell count.

S-04 and S-05 are my two favorite go-to yeasts. One for american styles and one for british styles.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 08-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #3
frolickingmonkey
Recipes 

ChshreCat beat me to it!

Primary: Delicious Beer
Secondary: Delicious Beer, Delicious Cider
Kegeratin': Delicious Draft Beer
Bottled: Delicious Bottled Beer and Cider

Reason: My post was completely redundant.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #4
greenleer
Recipes 

Danstar Nottingham and SafAle US-05 are both excellent yeasts. Rehydrating the yeast can help reduce lag time. But I never rehydrate. I just pitch the dry yeast right in.

I actually switched to using dry yeasts about a year ago because of the cost difference compared to the smack packs. Unless I'm looking for a particularly esoteric yeast characteristic, I use either Nottingham or US-05 for just about every beer I brew.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:52 PM   #5
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 485 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 17

After learning about osmotic shock, I ALWAYS rehydrate my yeast to give them the best chance. But back when I just sprinkled it on the wort I never had any problems. I just figured that it's only one easy extra step and it gives me healthier yeast.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 08-02-2009, 01:19 AM   #6
bsay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My brewery is the place for dry yeast (and yours can be too!). It's all I use, and I swear by it. Most beers get US-05 or nottingham. Wheat beers will get a wheat yeast (like WB-06) Some beer gets a specialized yeast, like K-97, S-33, or windsor. I have yet to use liquid yeast and have yet to be dissatisfied with a batch based on yeast choice.

Check out my Homebrewery Virtual Tour!

Who says you can't brew all-grain indoors?
Brewing 2.5 gal batches with a 2gal cooler MLT in my cramped apartment. Pictures coming soon!

Ask me about my Keezer/2.5 gal brew setup!

Old 08-02-2009, 05:14 AM   #7
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

List me as a 90% dry yeast brewer. I've made over 100 batches and most of them have been with dry. It's a rare occasion when I buy liquid and that has been just for very specialized brews.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
BrewOnBoard
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Unless you're making something that needs a specific yeast (belgian beers and wits for example) dry yeasts are just fine! People brew award winning beers with dry yeast all the time. Most popular styles work great with them. Pale ales, IPA, stout, porter, brown ale, anything like that.

Even with high OG beers, they're great. You don't have to buy a smack pack and make a starter and step it up and all that. You just just buy two or three packs of dry yeast, hydrate them while you brew and pitch 'em in to get your proper cell count.

S-04 and S-05 are my two favorite go-to yeasts. One for american styles and one for british styles.
Sweet! That's totally what I wanted to hear!

When you say rehydrate, do you mean "just add water" or do you add water and some sugar or DME to make a starter?

BoB

Old 08-02-2009, 01:38 PM   #9
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewOnBoard View Post
Sweet! That's totally what I wanted to hear!

When you say rehydrate, do you mean "just add water" or do you add water and some sugar or DME to make a starter?

BoB
I rehydrate al my dry yeasts using the directions for Nottingham: Danstar Premium Beer Yeasts - The Dry Yeast Advantage

Old 08-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #10
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Rehydrating is just adding warm water, don't make a starter with dry yeasts.

Also, I think you have run up to a big place where new brewers get confused. In the not to distant past most of the good yeasts were hard to come by in dry form, so liquid was the way to go for quality beer. That is still be professed by a lot of people/brew shops, but it is no longer the case. I would venture a guess that most of the seasoned brewers on this board go to US-04, US-05, and Notty for 95% of their brewing. It is only to experiment or do some of the beers where the flavor comes from the yeast that they go back to liquid.

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Quick Reply