The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Temperature increase during secondary fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 01:42 AM   #1
alex_r
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Temperature increase during secondary fermentation

This is my first post, though I have received much good advice by viewing these forums in the past.

I am currently brewing a milk stout. I brewed it Sept 16. After 6 days, I transferred it to the secondary and it has been there for 1 week and 2 days currently. I have been fermenting it in a chest freezer and holding the temperature around 66 to 67 degrees.

My question is this: I would like to start converting the freezer to a kegerator and building a fermentation chamber. I need to do this before I rack this beer out of the secondary or brew up another batch. However, what will be the effects on the beer if I was to remove it from this temperature controlled environment to an environment that may be as much as 10 degrees warmer (75 to 78)? If I leave it in the secondary for several days longer, would it reduce any potential off flavors? I need about a day to take the freezer over to a buddy's house with the proper woodworking tools and skills.

Any thoughts or pointers on the best way to handle this would be greatly appreciated?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-02-2007, 01:55 AM   #2
Beerrific
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The off flavors associated with high temperatures develop at high temps during active fermentation which you are obviously passed. Aging the beer warm (not hot) will not develop any off flavors in fact it may age the beer faster. But warm temps aren't very helpful for clarifying the beer.

It should fine at those temps for a couple days. If I were going to do this (and have) I would stick it in the bathtub with a wet towel to keep it cool and prevent large temp fluctuations.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply