The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > temperature importance: same for secondary and primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
jedufa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default temperature importance: same for secondary and primary?

I have a controlled temperature box I built but it is not huge, 2 fermenters at a time ( in fact a home-made split box with capability for 2x at 20degC and 4x at 6degC simultaneously).

Space is getting scarce because I am also conditioning my bottles in the box.

I would like to have only my primaries in the controlled 20C Box, and have my secondaries in my attic where the temperature oscillation is greater, I would say between 19C and 24C. I would say it is ok because it seems unlikely that off-flavors will show up in secondary fermentation because way less yeast is present.

Also, is it worth to have my bottles conditioned at the controlled temperatures or not?

Anyone has a strong opinion about this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

After the first week I remove my fermenters from the temperature controlled 'box'. After the major part of fermentation is complete, temperature isn't such a variable anymore. So I'd say you are fine. The only time I use my fermentation chamber to bottle condition is if I'm doing a lager or a Belgian. As long as your around that 21-22 degrees mark, you should be fine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply