Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Temperature control... on a budget

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2008, 12:59 AM   #11
Pivzavod
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

ghetto fabulous

Primary: 04/29 Pomegranate Nectarine Apfelwein, 05/23 Petite Saison
Secondary:
Kegs drinking: AHS Midnight Wheaten Stout 03/18 - 04/14 - 04/28,
Kegs conditioning: 01/29 - 04/29 Cranberry Apfelwein, 04/29-05/23 Petite Saison
RIP: 11/07-11/28-01/29-05/04-11/17 Flanders Brown Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2008, 01:23 AM   #12
Otis The Drunk
Recipes 

I'll have to remember that when it get's to 120° this coming summer. It beats the hell out of sticking it into an oversized tub under the Air Conditioner with half a box duct taped to the AC unit to redirect the air flow.

Currently in Primary: zip
Currently in Secondary: Dry Stout
Bottle Conditioning: Not a Thing
Drinking: Run of the mill Pale Ale
What's Next: Lake Walk Pale Ale

The Liver is Evil, therefore it must be punished

Old 12-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #13
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That beer (imperial porter in my dropdown) was the only I've ever done that blew yeast all the way through the tube. I've used the same method many times since, and never had a mess. I've had the same StarSan in the chamber for two months now.

I'll be doing a 10 gallon batch soon so I am getting ready to upgrade my system. That means buying a second can and filling more soda bottles with water for the freezer.

The air ducting idea for evaporation is an interesting one. I'll bet I won't need ice at all (after dropping to pitching temp) if I do that. Though this time of year the room is cool enough I only need extra temp control during the first 48 hours while the yeast are budding giving off heat, after that it drops back to room temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #14
MultumInParvo
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Sorry for reviving the old thread, but this is a great idea.

One suggestion. You will get a great deal more airflow if you let the air escape another way than through the top (back through the fan). If you cut some holes out just above the water line the fan would be able to move more air much more easily. Same costs, cooler temps.

Just an idea...

Old 11-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #15
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Yep I thought about that, just never tried it. This summer I rolled with just ice since I had the fermenter in a room next to the A/C unit which was a cozy 68-69*F. If I go back to fermenting ales in my office, which is a bit warmer, I'll do that to improve the airflow.

Quote:

Old 04-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #16
Lefe21
Recipes 

You are the man of the hour, Saccharomyces. I'm going to use this technique on brewing up your Irish Red recipe tomorrow (PM version). Going to sub Willamette for the Goldings however, and add a little CaraPils.

Cheers to you

Old 04-12-2010, 11:59 PM   #17
RegionalChaos
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Great ghetto ferm chamber. I love simplicity. Only problem I have is I don't want to lift my full carboys......... Need one with a side door..

Planned House Ales: an Amber, an IPA, a dark IPA, a Mango Ale, a blueberry oatmeal stout, a dry Irish stout, a honey wheat, Apfelwien

What kind of R-Value does your ferm chamber need? - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/what-kind-r-value-ferm-chamber-190459/

Old 04-13-2010, 02:04 AM   #18
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefe21 View Post
You are the man of the hour, Saccharomyces. I'm going to use this technique on brewing up your Irish Red recipe tomorrow (PM version). Going to sub Willamette for the Goldings however, and add a little CaraPils.
Sounds tasty. I did an American red ale with willamette, it came out awesome. I'm not a fan of EKG but I love willamette.

Glad folks are liking my method. I have a ferm fridge now, but I still use the ol' trusty water bath from time to time when I need to squeak in an extra batch.

Quote:

Old 04-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #19
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Did you try just throwing a blanket over it when using ice and not using the fan at all? Seems like the fan would be good when NOT using ice but seems the fan would just melt the ice faster when using ice. Once the carboy is submerged you've already got great heat transfer between the bath/carboy so I don't really see what the fan is doing when using ice.

I use something very similar but I sort of close it up and insulate it (with bubble-wrap, ha). It's too humid here anyway and the bubble-wrap keeps the condensation down.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 04-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #20
Roachmeister
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl spakler View Post
Dumping the blow off back into the cooling liquid looks nasty. Interesting concept, but IMO, too sloppy for practical usage.
If you're man enough to dunk the carboy in a trash can full of water, you're man enough to let the blowoff hit the mote.

The water is sanitized. Blowoff makes it brown, ever so slightly grainy, sanitized water. If you can't handle that, seriously, how do you handle drinking beer at all?

Oh my goodness, I really should learn to read post dates... Oh well!!!!

Last edited by Roachmeister; 04-19-2010 at 06:26 PM.
BridgewaterBrewer Likes This 

Quick Reply