Techniques for brewing high gravity beers without the hot alcohol taste.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoundrel

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've heard brewers on podcasts and web sites talk about how they can brew 10-12% beers that don't have a hot alcohol taste. I was wondering if anyone could kindly share their experiences and techniques on brewing strong beers without the strong taste.

Thanks!

i just did a barleywine several weeks ago that had an OG of 1.125. its still slowly bubling away in fermenter around 60*F. it will probably go into secondary after 4-6 weeks, and then sit there for maybe 6 months. i dont expect to drink it this year.

The Bruery (a brewery out here in SoCal) gave a presentation on brewing high grab beers. One of the tips was to infuse the cooled wort with a little less oxygen at the start, and then give it another shot about 12-18 hours later.

As said above, another key is plenty if yeast and controlled fermentation temperatures, erring on the low side.

Proper pitching rate is number one. A close second is keeping primary fermentation temps on the low end of the spectrum for the first couple days.

+1 - Yeast management. Pitch rates and controlled fermentation temperatures are important, regardless of the original gravity of your beer.

Balance is really important. If you have a 15 IBU, 1.110 OG, brew with 95% 2-row, then the alcohol is going to dominate.

Back