Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Technique for reducing oxidation during dry hopping.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2010, 03:13 AM   #1
benko
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Technique for reducing oxidation during dry hopping.

I know this has been touched on in a few other threads, but I just wanted to put it out there and get a couple of opinions. In order to reduce the oxidation effects of dry hopping, I usually add my dry hops as the primary fermentation is finishing up. I still want a little bit of fermentation going on so that the yeast consume any oxygen introduced by the hops. Does anybody else do this?

I know that many people achieve excellent results by adding the hops once the beer is completely done fermenting, but I like the idea that the yeast might helping me out. I'm not 100% sure that this works though. I know that the yeast consume the oxygen in the wort during their reproductive phase. I'm not quite sure if they still absorb oxygen later on in the fermentation. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2010, 05:04 AM   #2
Six_O_Turbo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I do that occasionally and it does seem to work. I believe that is the technique used by Lagunitas when they dry hop their IPA. Most of the time, if dry hopping in secondary, I will purge the secondary vessel with CO2, add the hops and rack on top.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
nootay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

since i started kegging, i dont think ill ever secondary in a glass carboy anymore. I just rack from primary to keg, purge the o2 out with co2, add the bag of hops, purge again. no more o2!

On deck: pale ale
CO2 Carbonation chart
Mash Calculator
Pitching Calculator
Cloverhill Brewery

Old 05-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts

I use one of the canisters that came with my vacuum sealer to help remove O2. I put pellets in the canister and pull a vacuum. Then hook up CO2 to the vent port on the canister and when the vacuum is released, CO2 rushes in instead of air. The pellets immediately get poured into the CO2 purged secondary and the beer from the primary gets CO2 pushed onto them.

Drinking: RIS, Coffee RIS, Jalapeno RIS, Heavy Hopper v2, Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel, Wee-Heavy

HoozierDaddy Likes This 
Old 05-19-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4959 Times on 3590 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

I usually put the hops in the carboy, and rack the beer onto it. Is oxidation really an issue for us homebrewers? I don't imagine that it is, since it's never happened to me.

I have occasionally just added the hops to the primary fermenter, but after fermentation has finished.

I just heard a podcast recently about dryhopping and yeast. I can't remember which one it was, but it talked about the presence of yeast "binding" somehow with the hops preventing the flavors fully penetrating the beer. It was interesting, and I wish I could find it again! Maybe someone else will recall that.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 05-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2778 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Is oxidation really an issue for us homebrewers?
Yeah. what? Who's worries about oxydation, especially because of dry hopping?

Besides beginning brewers who think their beer is really weak I mean.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-19-2010, 02:14 PM   #7
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Yeah. what? Who's worries about oxydation, especially because of dry hopping?

Besides beginning brewers who think their beer is really weak I mean.
Who worries about oxidation when dry hopping?

Mike McDole and Vinnie Cilurzo do. But then what do those hacks know about making hoppy beers, amiright?

Oxidation is probably the most common flaw in beers entered in homebrewing competitions. Homebrewers do themselves a disservice by believing false ideas like "oxidation only manifests in beer as cardboard or paper". Then they have a clearly oxidized beer but do not detect trans-2-nonenal so they don't know how to fix it. Then a judge tells them it is oxidized and they go on the internet and say the judge is an idiot. More power to you.

As for the OP. Mike McDole does what you do, adds the hops towards the end of primary fermentation. People will tell you that the hop aroma will evolve with c02 and that is true but thats why you put them in at the end and as McDole says, you can always just put in more.

I dry hop in a soda keg. I put the hops in bags suspended in the center of the keg (to keep them away from the bottom of the dip tube). I do this in a keg that has been purged with c02 and then I seal it up and purge it again. I then fill through the liquid out post. I like this setup since I can go shake the keg a few times a day to get more out of the hops (since I don't have a conical and can't bubble c02 through the bottom like the big boys). At the end of dry hopping I push the beer to a serving keg.

Yeast can reduce oxygen at any point, not just reproduction (though they reduce the most oxygen then). Note that the oxygen reduction capacity of yeast is limited as, for example, they cannot reduce all of the oxygen in the headspace of a bottle in bottle conditioned beers.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2778 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
Who worries about oxidation when dry hopping?

Mike McDole and Vinnie Cilurzo do. But then what do those hacks know about making hoppy beers, amiright?
And once again I think you care more about TROLLING me, then actually helping out around here....Inn your zeal to care more about making me wrong, and/or fueling fear in new brewers, you fail to make the distinction, between the needs/requirments of LARGE SCALE COMMERCIAL BREWING and home brewing.

Sometimes remmy baby, that's like comparing apples to oranges.

Are Yooper (because once again I notice you single me out but don't troll HER for saying EXACTLY the same thing as me- which again is a little stalkerishly creepy how you seem to hover over every word I write, and I write a lot. So your obsession of me if REALLY freaky.) or I talking about commercial breweries, or are we talking about this nervous more than likely new brewer, and what HE needs to concern himself with in his, more forgiving brews? It's all about the context.

In case you haven't noticed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I usually put the hops in the carboy, and rack the beer onto it. Is oxidation really an issue for us homebrewers?
But, oh yeah, you don't care about helping the new brewer out, do you?

Man, what happened to the days when my stalkers where hot chicks, who were great in bed, though obviously psychotic...when did I suddenly end up with only creepy guys who still live in mother's basement type stalkers? *shudder* I don't know what's more pathetic, a stalker like remmy, or the fact that I now ATTRACT a stalker like him?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

pumpkinman2012 Likes This 
Old 05-19-2010, 03:38 PM   #9
permo
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

For the record all of the advice I have ever gotten from Revvy has been spot on.
I also don't think that oxidation is a huge issue for most small scale homebrewers, but I also use the McDole method of dry hoping. I wait until fermentation is almost winding down then I just toss them in. McDole uses a "large sack" and agitates the fermenter often to encourage hop flavors. He also uses some sort of mechanism to pour his hot wort, from the kettle, through a bunch of hops, into the fermenter....and he mash hops.
Also, he mashes a little higher and his IPA's don't finish as low as most, 1.018 is what he shoots for.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #10
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And once again I think you care more about TROLLING me, then actually helping out around here....Inn your zeal to care more about making me wrong, and/or fueling fear in new brewers, you fail to make the distinction, between the needs/requirments of LARGE SCALE COMMERCIAL BREWING and home brewing.

Sometimes remmy baby, that's like comparing apples to oranges.

Are Yooper (because once again I notice you single me out but don't troll HER for saying EXACTLY the same thing as me- which again is a little stalkerishly creepy how you seem to hover over every word I write, and I write a lot. So your obsession of me if REALLY freaky.) or I talking about commercial breweries, or are we talking about this nervous more than likely new brewer, and what HE needs to concern himself with in his, more forgiving brews? It's all about the context.

In case you haven't noticed...

But, oh yeah, you don't care about helping the new brewer out, do you?

Man, what happened to the days when my stalkers where hot chicks, who were great in bed, though obviously psychotic...when did I suddenly end up with only creepy guys who still live in mother's basement type stalkers? *shudder* I don't know what's more pathetic, a stalker like remmy, or the fact that I now ATTRACT a stalker like him?
Last time I checked, I gave one of the helpful answer in this thread, one that actually addressed the OP rather than telling him he was wrong.

Mike McDole isn't a commercial brewer, by the way. Neither am I but of course I'm an idiot so I thought I would offer an appeal to authority.

I disagree with Yooper's thoughts on how common oxidation is in home brewed beer and I think that is clear. I like how she didn't insult anyone who tries to reduce oxidation when dry hopping by calling them a new brewer who thinks their beer is weak, which is what you called the OP, me, Mike McDole and countless other home brewers most of whom have something better to brag about than an honorable mention in SHV in a competition that nobody has ever heard of.

Quick Reply