New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > A Technique to Filter Wort

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 07:15 AM   #21
Tippsy-Turvy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinke View Post
For the record, I attached a nylon bag firmly around the end of the hose as I was siphoning into my bottle bucket and this was the best discovery since I learned about swamp coolers.

No more hops clogging the filters and/or getting into the finished product.
Let us know how yours turns out. My bottles are carbing nicely and the beer's still exceedingly clear. There's still some yeasties at the bottom but it's more a fine film compared to the layer of gunk I'm used to. I'll open one to taste next week.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2013, 11:05 PM   #22
JRinke
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0ngwh0ng View Post
Do you mean the end that is in the bottling bucket? If so, I'm afraid that would aerate the beer and cause oxydation...
No worries about that. It flows through just fine as long as it isn't the super fine nylon.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #23
JRinke
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippsy-Turvy View Post
Let us know how yours turns out. My bottles are carbing nicely and the beer's still exceedingly clear. There's still some yeasties at the bottom but it's more a fine film compared to the layer of gunk I'm used to. I'll open one to taste next week.
So far, so good. I have done it with two batches so far. One about two weeks ago which is carbing just fine, and one last night.

And you are right. I still have a layer of yeast at the bottom of the bottle, but it is no where near as gunky so far.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #24
jkjones15
Recipes 

Added apricot purée to a pilsner extract to make a fruit beer to finish the summer. So, I'm going to have a little bit of "pulp" to strain out. Is it going to clog the bag too quickly? Should I strain it twice with progressively finer strainers (being sure not to aerate, of course!)?

Old 08-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #25
Tippsy-Turvy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I think as long as the bag is large enough then you won't encounter major clogging nor need to filter twice. The higher the beer level rises, the larger the surface area of the filter bag doing filtering.

If, however, you tie off a small filter cloth/bag around the tip of the tube/wand then it'll clog much more easily.

From what I'm reading it seems so long as the filter size is >5 microns then you won't filter out the yeast. I don't know how fine my bags are (nothing on the packaging) but they're definitely finer than standard BIAB bags but aren't constricting the yeast enough to prevent the rather vigorous carbonation i'm achieving!

Old 08-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #26
brazilianbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0ngwh0ng View Post
I like to use as little finings as possible. MY own obsession. So I'm bent on finding mechanical avenues of filtering wort.

For bottling, yes, I should cold crash since I can. My main concern with cold crashing is suck backs. Pressure in the carboy falls quite rapidly when I go from 65-70F to 22F. Also, I don't have a CO2 tank on hand to flush with since I bottle. I don't like the idea of the content of the bubbler going in the beer. Even if it's vodka, boiled water, starsan or whatever. Again, MY own obsession. So, mechanical filtering again.

Works for me, might not work for you, etcetera.
Why dont you remove the S-airlock and replace it with aluminium foil - this way it wont go back to the beer. I am doing that for my cold crashing and I am very happy.

BrazilianBrewer
Old 08-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #27
biertourist
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
I've just filtered my wort before bottling and the result (so far) looks exceedingly good with crystal-clear beer in my bottles and absolutely no visible trub even at the bottom of my bottling bucket.

Essentially, I've copied the BIAB idea and simply racked my wort into a large but fine filter bag inside the bottling bucket. This seemed significantly more effective than what I tried before such as tying a filter bag to the suction end of the auto-syphon or just sieving the wort from the pot to the fermenter.

Anyway, I hope it works for you too.

Attachment 138559
Kind of looks like you aerated your beer before bottling based upon the picture. Can't recommend this technique. Oxygen pickup after fermentation is not a good idea.

Adam

Old 08-24-2013, 01:03 AM   #28
Tippsy-Turvy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I just opened a bottle last night from the "wort-filtering" experiment and......MAN OH MAN IT WAS DELICIOUS!!! Absolutely zero "off flavors" to indicate oxidation or anything wrong in fact.

It was a Big River Amber (my first darkish beer) and the flavors and aromas that instantly hit you are spectacular! They likely came from the potent mix of Caramel 80L, Special B and Roasted Chocolate Malt specialty grains. All my hops were late additions and I reckon that changed the bitterness to be smooth and mild, allowing my taste buds to focus more on the roasted-grain/coco bean-ish flavors.

The beer was very clear too but I didn't take a pic as it was in the evening and the beer is rather dark for night photography. I'll attach a photo later on when I open one in the daytime (great Rugby Championship matches coming up!).

Old 08-24-2013, 03:47 AM   #29
JRinke
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I just opened a bottle last night from the "wort-filtering" experiment and......MAN OH MAN IT WAS DELICIOUS!!! Absolutely zero "off flavors" to indicate oxidation or anything wrong in fact.

It was a Big River Amber (my first darkish beer) and the flavors and aromas that instantly hit you are spectacular! They likely came from the potent mix of Caramel 80L, Special B and Roasted Barley specialty grains. All my hops were late additions and I reckon that changed the bitterness to be smooth and mild, allowing my taste buds to focus more on the roasted-grain/coco bean-ish flavors.

The beer was very clear too but I didn't take a pic as it was in the evening and the beer is rather dark for night photography. I'll attach a photo later on when I open one in the daytime (great Rugby Championship matches coming up!).
I'm right there with you on all of this.

Filtering my beer/wort has been my most recent awesome discovery.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:41 AM   #30
Tippsy-Turvy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

A quick update for those interested.

I opened another bottle the other night to try to impress a friend but it was completely flat! Even pouring it quickly into a straight glass produced no head (although there was modest mouth feel) whereas that first bottle produced excessive head.

I'm concluding that after filtering the beer into the bottling bucket I should have gently mixed the solution. Instead, because the flow of beer through the filter bag was quite gentle, the sugar solution did not get mixed well and stayed largely at the bottom of the bucket.

Anyway, here's a pic of one of the bottles taken during the daytime. It's such a dark beer that I had to shine my most powerful LED torch through it to illustrate its clarity.

img_0201b.jpg
img_0204b.jpg

Quick Reply