Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > A Technique to Filter Wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
rjthomas21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So when transferring the beer from the fermenter to the bottling bucket, you place the tubing inside a bag and place all of that in the bottom of the bottling bucket and let it fill up that way (removing the bag/tubing at the end)? Am I understanding that correctly?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
jstraight
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Yeast loss?

I have heard not to filter if bottling because necessary yeast is lost (removed). Any opinions out there?

Retirement is great! Brew beer, fly fish and watch baseball, it doesn't get any better! John

Old 08-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #13
mbauer013
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

This type of filtering won't remove all of the yeast unless you were to use an exceedingly fine bag. When filtering to remove yeast you use a 1 micron filter (or is it .1 micron I can't remember)These bags are likely much larger than that much like coarse filtering cartridges with 5 micron pores)

Old 08-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
g-star
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippsy-Turvy View Post
I've just filtered my wort before bottling
Why are you bottling wort?

Old 08-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
ph0ngwh0ng
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjthomas21 View Post
So when transferring the beer from the fermenter to the bottling bucket, you place the tubing inside a bag and place all of that in the bottom of the bottling bucket and let it fill up that way (removing the bag/tubing at the end)? Am I understanding that correctly?
Yes

alex b

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngl1ves View Post
I smoke, sit in traffic with my windows down, and eat bacon by the pound. Sometimes all at once. Food grade has become a myth to me...

Old 08-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #16
ph0ngwh0ng
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstraight View Post
I have heard not to filter if bottling because necessary yeast is lost (removed). Any opinions out there?
I agree with the above, yeast is 5–10 micrometres in diameter.

alex b

Quote:
I smoke, sit in traffic with my windows down, and eat bacon by the pound. Sometimes all at once. Food grade has become a myth to me...

Old 08-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #17
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 175 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Until recently, I had huge losses to kettle trub, and also big losses when bottling due to yeast settling. I had just accepted the fact that because I don't use a siphon, such as life. I recently used Irish moss for the first time, and chilled my wort into the mid 60's ( which I really hadn't done before) and the settling was amazing! I put a paint filter in a large strainer, and slowly poured the wort through. Not only was the majority of the wort almost clear, but the paint strainer mesh caught 80% or more of the trub. I lost less than a quart, instead of a half gallon or more, so it was worth the trouble. When I got ready to rack into the bottling bucket, I cold crashed for three days instead of overnight, and the layer on the bottom of the bucket was very compact. I then opened the spigot very slowly to drain out and stopped when I got down to the trub. Once again only losing a quart if that. For the seasoned brewer this may just be redundant, but someone who is new to the whole process, it may save them a lot of lost beer, and improve their technique. I had read the same basic words here when I was very new, and it still didn't quite sink in. I now have more, better tasting beer, and all the help giver here is the reason. Thanks to everyone.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #18
ph0ngwh0ng
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindenMan View Post
Until recently, I had huge losses to kettle trub, and also big losses when bottling due to yeast settling. I had just accepted the fact that because I don't use a siphon, such as life. I recently used Irish ...
I like to use as little finings as possible. MY own obsession. So I'm bent on finding mechanical avenues of filtering wort.

For bottling, yes, I should cold crash since I can. My main concern with cold crashing is suck backs. Pressure in the carboy falls quite rapidly when I go from 65-70F to 22F. Also, I don't have a CO2 tank on hand to flush with since I bottle. I don't like the idea of the content of the bubbler going in the beer. Even if it's vodka, boiled water, starsan or whatever. Again, MY own obsession. So, mechanical filtering again.

Works for me, might not work for you, etcetera.

alex b

Quote:

Old 08-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #19
JRinke
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

For the record, I attached a nylon bag firmly around the end of the hose as I was siphoning into my bottle bucket and this was the best discovery since I learned about swamp coolers.

No more hops clogging the filters and/or getting into the finished product.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:48 AM   #20
ph0ngwh0ng
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinke View Post
For the record, I attached a nylon bag firmly around the end of the hose as I was siphoning into my bottle bucket and this was the best discovery since I learned about swamp coolers.

No more hops clogging the filters and/or getting into the finished product.
Do you mean the end that is in the bottling bucket? If so, I'm afraid that would aerate the beer and cause oxydation...

alex b

Quote:

Quick Reply