Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > A Technique to Filter Wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
Tippsy-Turvy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Default A Technique to Filter Wort

I've just filtered my wort before bottling and the result (so far) looks exceedingly good with crystal-clear beer in my bottles and absolutely no visible trub even at the bottom of my bottling bucket.

Essentially, I've copied the BIAB idea and simply racked my wort into a large but fine filter bag inside the bottling bucket. This seemed significantly more effective than what I tried before such as tying a filter bag to the suction end of the auto-syphon or just sieving the wort from the pot to the fermenter.

Anyway, I hope it works for you too.

img_0179.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
kinjiru
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the technique! I'm going to try this to filter the remaining wort and hops that I have on my fermenter.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
JRinke
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 14

This seems like an easy enough idea. I have been trying to come up with a way to keep my bottle wand from getting clogged by hops.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
jroot
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The technique will work just fine, however, make sure that the filter bag does not hang above the bottling bucket beer as you will most assuredly be aerating your beer (not a good thing). Stick the siphon wand in the bag and keep it in the drained beer until completed draining.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:22 AM   #5
Tippsy-Turvy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroot View Post
The technique will work just fine, however, make sure that the filter bag does not hang above the bottling bucket beer as you will most assuredly be aerating your beer (not a good thing). Stick the siphon wand in the bag and keep it in the drained beer until completed draining.
Absolutely. Keep the bottling wand tip at the bottom of the bucket and make sure the bag is deeper than the bucket (if not then tie off the bag mouth around the wand as tightly as possible).

Old 08-06-2013, 01:47 AM   #6
ph0ngwh0ng
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I love BIAB bags for filtering!

When I pour my cooled wort in the fermenter, I also use two layers in my funnel and it cuts the quantity of trub at the bottom of the carboy in half.

alex b

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngl1ves View Post
I smoke, sit in traffic with my windows down, and eat bacon by the pound. Sometimes all at once. Food grade has become a myth to me...
SDJay Likes This 
Old 08-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
rjthomas21
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You filter through the BIAB bag when transferring into the fermenter? Or when you transfer from fermenter into bottling bucket? The bottling wand in the picture is throwing me off for some reason.

Also, do you have any issue with the bag filling up and draining slowly? When I filter through a sieve and it picks up trub/hops it slows down significantly and I have to shake the junk out before resuming.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:57 PM   #8
ph0ngwh0ng
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjthomas21 View Post
You filter through the BIAB bag when transferring into the fermenter? Or when you transfer from fermenter into bottling bucket? The bottling wand in the picture is throwing me off for some reason.

Also, do you have any issue with the bag filling up and draining slowly? When I filter through a sieve and it picks up trub/hops it slows down significantly and I have to shake the junk out before resuming.
The OP was talking about filtering through BIAB bag when bottling. It's great, I do it all the time, but I do it also when I'm transferring from the kettle to the fermenter. I've found that strainers always corrode pretty quickly, even when it's labeled as SS.

Yes, it does slow down when pouring from kettle to fermenter through BIAB bags. But, it also aerates the wort pretty well IMO. I just pour slowly. What I do is the following:

I insert a small (6 x 6) bag in the carboy, with the edges sticking out. I insert the funnel firmly in it. Then, I put a 24 x 24 bag over the funnel and secure it so that it hangs a bit loose on the funnel's opening but not too much, so that the junk doesn't clog the funnel's hole.
p1030567.jpg  

alex b

Quote:
I smoke, sit in traffic with my windows down, and eat bacon by the pound. Sometimes all at once. Food grade has become a myth to me...

Old 08-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #9
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I BIAB.

Why would particles that slip through the BIAB bag during mashing (i.e. very small ones) all of a sudden no longer slip through the same bag when you transfer the wort from the kettle to the fermentor?

Or are you using a finer bag?

Or is it the hops residue that you are trapping, and not other particulate? If its hops residue then do you use a hops bag, and if so, is it fine enough?

At one point I tried using a 300 micron strainer but it blocked up quickly. I may try using Chads stainless steel hops container as a filer at some point.

My concern with transfering wort and running it through a bag is the bag must be sanitized. You cant use the bag for mashing, then let it sit out gathering dust for an hour plus. You have to clean it and soak it in Star San prior to using it with cooled wort.

The same is true when using it as a strainer when bottling. There is a chance of infection and Oxidation. At the very least soak the bag in Star San and use it wet, so Oxygen is less likely to get in.

I don't get lots of particulate when bottling, unless I stick the racking cane all the way into the trub.
Instead I keep it suspended above the trub and gradually tip the bucket. I also leave behind a beers worth that would otherwise have a lot of yeast in it.

I do BIAB and I don't have an excessive amount of trub. I's say it's not too much more than extract, though I could be mistaken as I haven't brewed extract recently.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #10
ph0ngwh0ng
Recipes 

First, my intention was not to hijack the thread, sorry bout that, OP.

I don't BIAB, I'm AG in a cooler mash tun. I also don't use a hop bag during the boil as I find its a hassle for hop additions at different times during the boil.

I trap a LOT of trub that way, way more than the quantity of hops I added, so I figure I catch a lot of extra particulates. I hate racking in general, and I brew 3 gal batches, so for me it's easier to just pour from the kettle directly to the fermenter. Therefore, I don't whirlpool the wort and wait for it to sediment.

I use two bags, so that the little bag doesn't become clogged with trub right away. Having a large filtering surface allows me to change the place where I'm pouring. The bags are cleaned with a mild soap and soaked in starsan until I'm ready to pour into the carboy.

About filtering when bottling, as someone pointed out earlier, I always leave the tubing in the bottling bucket under the level of wort, so I don't think I'm oxygenating the beer. If I do, it's not significantly more than if I wasn't filtering. Again, the bag comes out a bit dirty, and there is less sediment at the bottom of the bottles.

That's it! Works well for my setup, may not be suited to everybody's needs.

alex b

Quote:

Quick Reply