The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Teaching a Homebrew Class (community ed)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2007, 02:40 PM   #21
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I don't know much about pairings honestly. I do know however, not to mix saurkraut pierogi with IPA. Holy crap, it's disgusting.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2007, 02:45 PM   #22
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

I agree. The difference between ale/lager is extremely relevant and I was planning to use that as an introduction to the talk about yeast. This would probably happen right after I mention how americans got hooked on lagers after the huge immigration of Germans. I actually have an oktoberfest that I split and fermented as half ale, half lager. I need to do some more tasting to see if it would be an obvious example of the differences that I could let them taste.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 04-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #23
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by drouillp
ditto on the ingredients. Maybe not replace it, but i wouldn't start off with too much history. like you said very readers digest.

"Been going on for thousands of years. Egyptians did it. Gruit to hops. Reinheitsgebot. Indian trade routes. Pre prohibition, prohibition, post prohibition. Now let's touch some hops."

You can have the history lesson integrated with the ingredient introductions (e.g. show them some gruit so they can see and smell what was used before hops)
You could print out the history and pass it out as homework for the next class. Ask them to read it and be prepared to discuss it (over some brews perhaps at a local brew pub).

Old 04-12-2007, 03:07 PM   #24
Pedro-

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort
You could print out the history and pass it out as homework for the next class. Ask them to read it and be prepared to discuss it (over some brews perhaps at a local brew pub).
Or you could just have edwort's army of german gnomes plant the information into their brains for you

I'm sure he has some gnomes to spare...

"Willkommen class, whose ready for some onion cake and apfelwein? Ja! Ja!"

Ferm: 10 gal Apfelwein :)
Kegged: Wit, Blonde Ale, What Wheat?
Bottled: Apfelwein, Stout
Up Next: ESB, Honey Lager, CCA
Down the Hatch: A whole sh*t-ton!

Old 04-12-2007, 03:08 PM   #25
D*Bo
Recipes 

One thing, I've noticed that some people tend to present some things as fact, or as the only proper way to do something, when it's really just the way they prefer to do it or because they don't fully understand other ways of doing things.

You could maybe explain why you prefer doing diffrent steps a particular way.

And good luck.

Drinking Oatmeal Chocolate Stout, Oaked Bourbon Chocolate Stout, Dry Mead)
Up NextScottish ale and Dopple Bock

Always ready for the wack snack attack, I carry sandwiches around in a straight edge style JanSports backpack.

Support your local businesses

Old 04-12-2007, 06:15 PM   #26
neckbone
Recipes 

If you don't actually brew the first day, give the class a list of maybe 3-5 different commercial beers (Killians Red, New Castle, anything w/ flavor), and let them choose one or two batches for the next brewing class. That way, you'll know what style will be generally accepted by the class, and won't try to fit a double IPA to a group of Irish Red drinkers. Since you're probably going to do two batches, you could even do two different types, and give 3 bottles of each at the end.

Primary: Nada
Secondary: Squat
Bottled: Nut Brown

Old 04-12-2007, 06:34 PM   #27
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckbone
If you don't actually brew the first day, give the class a list of maybe 3-5 different commercial beers (Killians Red, New Castle, anything w/ flavor), and let them choose one or two batches for the next brewing class. That way, you'll know what style will be generally accepted by the class, and won't try to fit a double IPA to a group of Irish Red drinkers. Since you're probably going to do two batches, you could even do two different types, and give 3 bottles of each at the end.
Right on. It's impossible to estimate what kind of beer drinkers I'll encounter. They might surprise me and already be into craft brews. I might end up with 12 BMC drinkers. I plan to briefly touch on the high level style catagories and give them say 4-5 choices on what we brew (vote). If they're all BMC, I'll probably make the executive decision to brew something blonde or an American wheat. I like the idea of making it two different kinds. Maybe I'll do a super simple wheat with no steeping grains and then do a light APA (on the IBU low end) and steep a small amount of crystal 10 and melanoiden. Eh, lots of time to think about that. I still have to get past the interview and convince the director I know what I'm doing.

New Stuff?

Old 04-13-2007, 06:18 PM   #28
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

It's official. My homebrewing class is making the summer class brochure which goes out to 150,000 homes. Sweet. We settled on three two-hour sessions.

New Stuff?

Old 04-13-2007, 06:33 PM   #29
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 352 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I like the basic gameplan you presented in the original post.

What I would do on the third day, though, is spend about half the glass bottling, and the other half give them a flavor of some more advanced concepts. Bring in your mash tun and spend a little bit of time talking about how that process works, in a real basic form. Maybe a couple of minutes on kegging. Stuff like that, stuff to pique their interest into exporing the hobby further.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-10-2007, 04:37 AM   #30
dantodd

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I think that if I did this class I'd set up the first days lecture to both give a little background on the diversity of beer as it exists now, maybe taste a few micros if that is permissible. And then go through the whole brewing process showing the importance of sanitation etc. While I was doing the explanations of the basic process I'd just brew an all extract beer, or may add some pre-steeped specialty grain "tea" so all you are doing is boiling and hopping. At the end of the demo they will have seen a whole batch of beer brewed and see just how easy it is. Let them know that next class you'll all brew a batch together while you continue the lecturing. Then you can also bring sample bottles of the extract batch that they can take home and condition for the third class. Then, bottle the third class together and you will probably have time to talk about kegging and some of the fun brewing toys and of course prepping them for the upcoming AG class.

Quick Reply