Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Taste Variability, Same Batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #1
jo4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Taste Variability, Same Batch

I'm generally running 12 gallon batches in the fermenter and at the end of the day I get two 5 gallon kegs filled with usable beer. At first I was pulling beer into one keg and then into the other and wow there was huge variability between the two coming out of the fermenter.

Since then I am filling both kegs at the same time so they are closer. However even within a single keg to me there is a ton of variability in the taste. The pints go from really melon like hoppyness to more bitter with less hop depth. Even if I fill bombers from the keg each one is quite different.

What's going on here? Do you guys shake your keg every time you take a pint? How can I get more consistency in my bombers coming out of the keg?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2014, 02:53 AM   #2
billl
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 262 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The beer in a keg should be essentially uniform. You could be accidentally oxidizing beer while filling bombers and that could certainly lead to big flavor shifts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply