New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Tansfer to secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2005, 08:05 PM   #1
Driftwood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Tansfer to secondary?

Hey all,

My first time transfering to secondary. The beer has been in primary for a week now, but it got off to a slow start (took 30 before i started to see the start of a krausen) and I still see a bubble leave the airlock every 15 seconds or so.

So do I transfer now or wait a little longer?

Also, do I transfer any of the trub or krausen into secondary, or try to avoid as much solids as possible?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 145

It's time to transfer. I transfer either when 5 days comes, or when the majority of the krausen has fallen or 7 days no matter what. Bubbling every 15s is fine; that's basically 95-98% complete with its fermenting. A gravity check could validate this.

You're looking for a clean rack so you avoid as much crap as you can getting into the seconday. I typically put the racking cane all the way down to the bottom side and you'll get a little blast of stuff transfered which is perfectly fine. Just leave the cane in the same spot to minimize stirring it up on the bottom. I even tilt my primary when I get towards the end of the rack to get a wee bit more beer. You'll have plenty of settled out trub in your secondary as well which is normal.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply