The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Tannins / Finings / Bottle carbonation & conditioning

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

I know that gelatin can help with tannins, as can lagering. If you can put the beer somewhere really cold for 4 weeks that will help drop out some polyphenols. It won't fix it completely, of course. But it is the only thing I can think of that will really hope.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #12
brewzombie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I know that gelatin can help with tannins, as can lagering. If you can put the beer somewhere really cold for 4 weeks that will help drop out some polyphenols. It won't fix it completely, of course. But it is the only thing I can think of that will really hope.
Thanks. Maybe I'll add some gelatin at the end of my bottling so I get a few test bottles as an experiment. I'd prefer to chill in a secondary to cold crash (with or without gelatin) and re-yeast at bottling, but I don't currently have the means. I suspect I'll stick to trying to control tannins earlier in the process (mash pH, proper sparging, irish moss etc), which I did do with this batch as best I could. I may not even have a tannin-issue; it's just one possibility I'm trying to investigate. Cheers.

"glaaahhrb!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply