Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Tankless Water Heater & Mash Temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #71
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts

I think using these tankless hot water heaters for a brewery is a good idea but I think I would want mine dedicated. I cringe to think of what would happen if you accidentally left it set very high. It sounds like a scald waiting to happen unless there is something I am not seeing.

Guy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 04:10 AM   #72
Montanaandy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Default Twh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
My parents have 2 Bosch tankless heaters that are 22 years old and have been running at 140 degree output for that entire time in a house of 5 people for more than half that time. A few minor part replacements is it and this is "older" technology.

Nobody here is suggesting running at 180 all the time, BTW, and yes, they last longer than that without issue, generally, as long as your water doesn't have high mineral content. If it does, it just takes a more regular maintenance cycle to ensure there isn't too much build-up.
Unless you have a recirc pump either internally in the TWH (which is usually a small HP pump) or preferably externally (a 3 HP is good) you will bleed off a good deal of water getting from 45' to 180' as well as energy to heat that water that is going down the drain. The energy savings if any is negligible. Montanaandy.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:32 AM   #73
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4594 Times on 4499 Posts
Likes Given: 2056

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanaandy View Post
Unless you have a recirc pump either internally in the TWH (which is usually a small HP pump) or preferably externally (a 3 HP is good) you will bleed off a good deal of water getting from 45' to 180' as well as energy to heat that water that is going down the drain. The energy savings if any is negligible. Montanaandy.
Sorry if I have added any confusion. I (or anyone else) was not talking about generating 180 degree water in anything but a completely diverted mode to dump the water directly from the tank. God forbid anyone tries to recirculate 180 degree water, that's insane.

As for the recirc pumps, some models actually use March pumps in the same 1/25th HP range! 3 HP would be WAY overkill for low flow rate recirculation (unless you live at the Vanderbilt Mansion)

The Navien models have the hot water return to the tank from the far end loop and use that for maintaining a "hot water" temp in the hot water supply line (so you'd be wanting to insulate your hot water pipes) but it takes advantage of the 3-stage burner and bypasses the cold water inlet to re-heat the water already in the hot water pipes.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #74
Jknapp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just thought I'd give a quick report on brewing yesterday with the tankless..

I brewed a 5.25 gal batch of Pale Ale. It was great! From pre-heating my mash tun to srubbing the kettle - 3hrs 21mins - start to completely finished. Not that I want to rush through my hobby, but with a 14 week old at home, I don't get much time away..

I only used the Noritz unit at 170 for the mash in. After a prelim test, I realized that I probably didn't need the higher 180 range to start. I opened the unit up at 170 and completely filled my mash tun cooler. After 5-10 mins of preheat time, I ran off the water to the level I needed. I was a little low in temp at that point (around 160), so I added my fill hose and opened the valve on both the hot water & cooler, letting some of the cooler water drain while filling with hot water. Kind of like a pre-heat-fly-sparge. When it came up to 165, I shut both off & mashed-in. easy.

I collected my 1st runnings as usual, determined the volume I needed for my boil volume, set the Noritz to 180 and filled a measured HDPE container to transfer to my MLT. Adding the sparge water, the grain/mash bed measured 168 degrees - which was perfect.

Everything else was the same. The added bonus was being able to wash my gear in the driveway in 40 degree weather with 120 degree water.

I really like the added funtionality of a tankless water heater. If you're at a place where you probably have to replace your tank water heater, I'd strongly reccommend making this investment in your home & your brewery.

Now, if I could only get a trench drain installed in my garage.. hmm..

Old 01-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #75
Samuel9609
Recipes 

Maybe this has already been said but everybody is saying they are using the tankless water heater to get sparge water but why cant you use it directly to recirculate the wort for your different temperature schedules?

Old 08-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #76
Onkel_Udo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel9609 View Post
Maybe this has already been said but everybody is saying they are using the tankless water heater to get sparge water but why cant you use it directly to recirculate the wort for your different temperature schedules?
Huh?

I am guessing you are implying taking a 180 degree feed from the TWH to heat wort you are recirculating in the mash tun, right? In essence an old school counterflow chiller but in reverse...hot water in the outer jacket and cooler wort in the inner tubing (same can be said of a plate chiller which is actually a plate heater exchanger).

If that was you implication it seems an aweful waste of hot water unless you are using it for other purposes after it has raised the temperature of the wort. Theoretically you could use it for washing the fermentor, etc but I never have that much stuff to wash until after I have sparged.

I love tankless water heaters...always have even when I just had an in-shower water heater in my appartment in Cologne (student housing for 3 month language course...no other hot water in the flat). Electric tankless water heaters could theoretically be used as well but you better have a massive amount of amperage left in your service panel (many use 40 amp double breakers so 40 amp 220V)...and I am not sure they can be overriden to supply water in excess of 140 degrees.

Edit: Doh! did not notice that this was an ancient thread...sorry to revive a dead topic.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #77
AlphaPyro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think the implication was actually running wort from your mash through the tankless water heater and back into the mash tun to control mash temperatures. Much like a RIMS system instead of a HERMS

Old 11-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #78
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPyro View Post
I think the implication was actually running wort from your mash through the tankless water heater and back into the mash tun to control mash temperatures. Much like a RIMS system instead of a HERMS
That'd be the worst of both worlds, expensive and difficult to maintain. Easier to stick an element in a tube, a pid in a box, and some wires between.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #79
AlphaPyro
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff View Post
That'd be the worst of both worlds, expensive and difficult to maintain. Easier to stick an element in a tube, a pid in a box, and some wires between.
Strangely enough what brought me to this post was I was researching a way to speed up ramp temps... from what I understand is the RIMS tube will step up, but at the rate in which it does it may not be ideal... if this is instant than all that is required is pushing the volume through at it's max flow rate

my concern there is compacting the grain bed trying to move the liquid that fast

not to mention the cost of a TWH

Old 11-04-2013, 11:10 PM   #80
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 302 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaPyro View Post
Strangely enough what brought me to this post was I was researching a way to speed up ramp temps... from what I understand is the RIMS tube will step up, but at the rate in which it does it may not be ideal... if this is instant than all that is required is pushing the volume through at it's max flow rate

my concern there is compacting the grain bed trying to move the liquid that fast

not to mention the cost of a TWH
I figure the only way you are going to get truly fast ramp times is by adding boiling water. If a professional brewery isn't doing that, than anything we do at a homebrew level (RIMS, HERMS, and such) is going to be faster than their ramp times so it doesn't bother me much anymore.

I'm sure you could size a tankless to a pump speed for the compaction issue; but, then it would take a long time to raise the temp. Perhaps direct steam injection would get you what you want.

Quick Reply