Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Tankless Water Heater & Mash Temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2010, 04:11 PM   #21
cruelkix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jknapp View Post
Number 2 is a fantastic idea. I'll install a valve that cuts the house when I crank up the heat.

I'm not so sure that #1 is too much of an issue for me.
Soooo, were you able to get it up to 180 or not? What kind of flow rate did you see? Approx. what is your groud water temp?

I'm very interested in doing this for a 55 gallon set up. Having no HLT would be very nice for multiple reasons. So flow rate is improtant.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #22
Jknapp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just got it put in last week. No problem hitting 180 degees with a flow rate of 2.4 GPM. My ground water temp is 47 degrees. I only brew 5-6 gal batches, so I can collect my mash & sparge water in a few minutes.

One bummer: if you turn the heater up past 140, you can only set the temp in 10 degree increments, so 140, 150, 160, etc up to 180. I thought I'd be able to precisely set the temp desired, so that was a bit of a let-down.

here's a few pics..

For a brew op of that size (55 gal), I think you would need several tankless heaters in series. But it would be totally doable. Or, just use one and have a well-insulated liquor tank. My plumber who installed mine, said he uses his to fill his hot tub.

I'll brew my 1st batch on it this weekend. I'm interested to find out how the unit affects my brew day.

heater-4.jpg   heater-2.jpg   heater-1.jpg   heater-3.jpg  

Old 01-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #23
Jknapp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bensiff View Post
Chlorine/chloramine (off top of my head I can't recall which they use)
Aren't those both driven off by the boil?

BTW - I did have a diverter valve installed. I can either supply hot water to my brew station OR the house - not both at the same time - to reduce the chance of scalding someone at a household fixture.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #24
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 314 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Aren't those both driven off by the boil?

BTW - I did have a diverter valve installed. I can either supply hot water to my brew station OR the house - not both at the same time - to reduce the chance of scalding someone at a household fixture.
You can't drive chloramine off by boiling like chlorine so that means one has to filter...sounds like a cold side house filter is what I would need.

Nice setup. I got mine installed last week, shipped with a broken part so I can only get a trickle of hot water. Guy has been giving me the run around on getting it fixed but promised to come by tonight with the replacement part. I miss warm showers...

Old 01-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #25
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4615 Times on 4518 Posts
Likes Given: 2143

I also have a diverter valve, but I still have to remember to go hit the keypad back to normal temps.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #26
Randar

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruelkix View Post
Soooo, were you able to get it up to 180 or not? What kind of flow rate did you see? Approx. what is your groud water temp?

I'm very interested in doing this for a 55 gallon set up. Having no HLT would be very nice for multiple reasons. So flow rate is improtant.
I have been able to hit 180 with 45 degree ground water. Flow rate is ???? as I have not measured exactly.

I wouldn't trust the hot water heater to hit the EXACT temp you need for mash-in though... I would still have some kind of regulating tank.

Reason: removed my bad guess at flow rate.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #27
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What does one of these run, ballpark? And is it as obtrusive as it looks in the pic?

Awesome potential for homebrewers.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #28
cruelkix
Recipes 

Obtrusive? Compared to a 75 gallon hot water heater the thing is tiny. If you look them up on line, the price varies by how many BTU's you want to put into it. Like 2k - 5k I think.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #29
cruelkix
Recipes 

Quote:
Just got it put in last week. No problem hitting 180 degees with a flow rate of 2.4 GPM. My ground water temp is 47 degrees. I only brew 5-6 gal batches, so I can collect my mash & sparge water in a few minutes.

One bummer: if you turn the heater up past 140, you can only set the temp in 10 degree increments, so 140, 150, 160, etc up to 180. I thought I'd be able to precisely set the temp desired, so that was a bit of a let-down.
That is a bummer that you can only go up in increments of 10. Looks like the guy did a very nice install. Good idea with the divert valve. I guess this is out of the question for replacing a HLT. Too bad....

Thanks for the pics and the response.

Edit: A thought, could you possibly by-pass the digital control and switch to a BTU output mode? Or I guess since it is natural gas you would really just be changing how much gas you are cranking into it, essentially controlling how open the gas valve is?

Old 01-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #30
Randar

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
What does one of these run, ballpark? And is it as obtrusive as it looks in the pic?

Awesome potential for homebrewers.
The high end ones run around 2k + install costs but as with anything... you can spend as much as you want. You might also be able to find the higher end units through a dealer in your area or online and install yourself if you are a confident home improvement and DIY'er.

Not sure it makes sense for most folks unless they have an old hot water heater that needs replacing (like I did when I bought my house). Buy it for the whole house and get the homebrewing bonus as just that... a bonus. JMO

I got a $500 tax credit when I had mine installed and it takes up a LOT less space than my old tank (I now store a lot of brewing gear in the space the old tank was behind my furnace.

Quick Reply