Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Table sugar vs. Corn Sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2006, 09:44 PM   #1
SkewedBrewing
Hopscallion
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Table sugar vs. Corn Sugar

Is there a difference in taste, aroma, carbonation, etc. if one were to boil table sugar (a disacharide) into a monosacharide and use that for bottling instead of corn sugar?

Reusable Pry-Off Bottles Wiki

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2006, 10:27 PM   #2
Jim Karr

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Sugar, Sugar

Up til now, I've exclusively used table sugar for priming. no problem

Old 03-15-2006, 12:39 AM   #3
Shambolic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkewedAle
Is there a difference in taste, aroma, carbonation, etc. if one were to boil table sugar (a disacharide) into a monosacharide and use that for bottling instead of corn sugar?
This definitely occurs just through boiling?

Bottled/Drinking:
Common Swill
Stormy Night Porter
Lobrau Amber Ale (Mk. II)
Rain Dog Ale
Quantum Pale Ale

Coming Up:
Maybe a pilsner...
Quantum Pale Ale (Mk. II)

Old 03-15-2006, 01:21 AM   #4
drengel
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i gotta say that table sugar in a brew just freaks me out. i'm in a bio-chem of fermentation class, and this guy brought in some swill in a little 1 gallon makeshift fermenter, he says his friend made it with about half the ingredients of a normal ale, and then 3 lb.s of table sugar. i've never tasted the purported 'cidery' offtaste thats supposed to come from using table sugar until then, and i never want to taste it again. god that was some gross stuff.

so, i would only use the corn sugar. not sure about the di-mono conversion.

drinking: mocha java porter, belgian pumpkin ale, Gary's oatmeal stout clone, AHS nut brown, catamount porter clone, double nut brown, rye pale ale, my oatmeal stout

conditioning: nut brown

next: saison, wit, american wheat, hefe, kolsch, blonde

gone: too damn many

Old 03-15-2006, 02:41 AM   #5
cowain
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't know if it occurs only through boiling. If you are concerned, all you need to do to ensure conversion is to also make the environment acidic. Either add a pinch of citric acid or squeeze some lemon juice in it. Then when combined with boiling the sucrose should break into double glucose (I think 2 glu = 1 su, but someone can check me on that).

Old 03-15-2006, 04:48 AM   #6
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

1 su= 1 glu + 1 fru

I dunno if the perported cideryness is as a result od the fructose, or of whaetever the yeast does to break the bond between the glu+fru...

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 03-15-2006, 06:15 PM   #7
SkewedBrewing
Hopscallion
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I am positive that boiling the table sugar alone is enough to convert from di to mono. My question isn't really answered yet though, is there anybody who has used this and notices a true difference between table and corn, because i want my HefeWeissen to be pretty foamy...

Reusable Pry-Off Bottles Wiki

Old 03-17-2006, 10:30 PM   #8
Jens-Kristian
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drengel
this guy brought in some swill in a little 1 gallon makeshift fermenter, he says his friend made it with about half the ingredients of a normal ale, and then 3 lb.s of table sugar. i've never tasted the purported 'cidery' offtaste thats supposed to come from using table sugar until then, and i never want to taste it again. god that was some gross stuff.

so, i would only use the corn sugar. not sure about the di-mono conversion.
I see your point, Drengel, but I think there is a pretty large difference between using the sugar needed for carbonation, such as the 6grammes pr. litre for carbonation that I used in a batch I did recently, and then basing the entire brew on it. Also, 3lbs for a gallon? Jeez! The added sugar itself would be enough to make that brew about 14% ABV!! If there was malt in there as well I'd be surprised if the ABV was much less than 17-18%

I'm sort of hoping I'm reading that wrong and that the batch itself was larger - such as a standard 5 gallon batch or something, but even with that amount I'd never even consider adding 3lbs of sugar of any kind!

To me, it sounds more like a misguided attempt at making alcohol as such than brewing beer.

Cheers,

Jens-Kristian

Old 03-18-2006, 12:00 AM   #9
Darth Konvel

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm with Jens. At the amount needed to achieve carbonation I highly doubt you'll notice any difference between the two. Once you start hitting levels where the yeast have to do alot of work to get through it all, then you'll start to see (taste) off flavors as drengel notes.

Concerning boiling the sugar to hydrolize the table sugar, I think a boil alone might suffice, but I'd wager there would be a significant difference in the time needed using an acidic solution vs straight tap water; but I'm honestly not sure off hand.

Old 03-18-2006, 02:33 PM   #10
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

i've used powdered sugar to prime with in a pinch... no noticable difference, the beer carbonated and i couldn't really tell the difference.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quick Reply