Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Swirling the Fruit In Secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
RoseburgBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Swirling the Fruit In Secondary

I've read up on adding fruit to the secondary and racking on top, but I haven't found any info on what to do after that. Should I swirl the beer occasionally like I would if I was dry hopping? It seems like all of the fruit puree has sunk to the bottom and its not going to come in contact with all the beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
cmybeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Just make sure you are not splashing it around while you do this. I have no real experience with fruit but have done the light swirl to get the hops wet before. I'm sure it will be fine as is though.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:54 AM   #3
jerryteague
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 182 Times on 151 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseburgBrewer
I've read up on adding fruit to the secondary and racking on top, but I haven't found any info on what to do after that. Should I swirl the beer occasionally like I would if I was dry hopping? It seems like all of the fruit puree has sunk to the bottom and its not going to come in contact with all the beer.
Think of it as steeping tea in a cup. The flavor/color will blend in without doing anything else. If you stir/shake the beer, you run the risk of oxidation. Let it be, and it'll be fine. If you just have to stir, do it GENTLY, so you don't introduce oxygen into the beer you worked so hard to make. Same with dry hopping. The more you mess with it, the more you risk oxidation. When you rack to the bottling bucket or keg, it'll mix itself.

Quick Reply