Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > sugar addition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 05:48 AM   #1
darkstar37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default sugar addition

I read today that if you need to add corn sugar(Dextrose) to do it later in the fermentation process so it's easier on the yeast, I wish to know if this is the case, how far along to do it and by what method to introduce it into the brew?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

why do you need to add corn sugar? bottling?

but no, you can generally add sugar at any point in the fermentation. the only thing about adding it immediately (like just after you chill the wort and pitch yeast) is that when you raise the gravity substantially, you need to accordingly pitch a greater amount of yeast.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
darkstar37
Recipes 

For higher alchol beers like belgians and do I dissolve it before adding it to my brew?

Old 08-30-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

The thought for adding at the end of fermentation is to make the yeast eat the maltose first (harder) then move to glucose (easier)...don't eat dessert first and spoil dinner sort of thing.

The truth is, many add sugar at the end of the boil (myself included) and have no problem with fermentation/attenuation. I find the boil to be much easier.

If you add during fermentation, it would be a good idea to dissolve it first in some water. Helps it mix quicker...some guys have had a layer of undissolved sugar on the bottom of their carboys before. Oh, and you can use table sugar too, it's cheaper than corn sugar and does the same thing.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 488 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
The thought for adding at the end of fermentation is to make the yeast eat the maltose first (harder) then move to glucose (easier)...don't eat dessert first and spoil dinner sort of thing.

The truth is, many add sugar at the end of the boil (myself included) and have no problem with fermentation/attenuation. I find the boil to be much easier.

If you add during fermentation, it would be a good idea to dissolve it first in some water. Helps it mix quicker...some guys have had a layer of undissolved sugar on the bottom of their carboys before. Oh, and you can use table sugar too, it's cheaper than corn sugar and does the same thing.
I'm with Ty, I just add it late in the boil, regardless of the type of sugar, it's just easier and I too have no issues with attenuation.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 02-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
mac21
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Thanks guys. This is super helpful. I'm working on a Belgian strong right now with a bit of honey and corn sugar. Happy brewin'!

Quick Reply