Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Sufficient Yeast Cells In Suspension After Lagering?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2006, 12:51 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Sufficient Yeast Cells In Suspension After Lagering?

This is my first time lagering---just got a chest freezer and temp controlled. I was wondering, since lagering causes yeast to fall out of suspension faster, will there be enough yeast cells left in suspension after a couple months of lagering, in order to sufficiently carbonate the beer in bottles?

Along those lines, I've been noticing that beers which get longer conditioning time in secondary take longer to carbonate in bottle. I'm guessing that this is due to less yeast in suspension. As such, with these beers, I've taken to deliberately disturbing the yeast cake when racking to the bottling bucket. Bad idea?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Rousing the yeast negates the purpose of using a clearing tank. You would probably be better off adding a little fresh yeast to the bottling bucket. That way you don't have hop particles, etc in the bottles. Also, the yeast in the clearing tank are the least floccuant yeast in the batch, which means a long clearing time in the bottle. Use a high flocculation yeast like Cooper's or Munton's Gold or safale S-04. You only need a pinch (AKA 1 gram).

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 11-01-2006 at 02:08 PM.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Is there any risk, if you add a different strain of yeast to the bottling bucket, of potentially over-carbing the beer? Is there a danger that the new yeast will do a better job of consuming sugars that the original buggers left behind? Some yeasts will do a better job than others at consuming the fermentable sugars, right? Could that potentially result in what would effectively be a secondary fermentation in the bottle (the previously unconsumed sugars plus the priming solution).

Or, am I just completely bat-sh!t insane?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Rousing the yeast negates the purpose of using a clearing tank. You would probably be better off adding a little fresh yeast to the bottling bucket. That way you don't have hop particles, etc in the bottles. Also, the yeast in the clearing tank are the least floccuant yeast in the batch, which means a long clearing time in the bottle. Use a high flocculation yeast like Cooper's or Munton's Gold or safale S-04. You only need a pinch (AKA 1 gram).
david, have you actually ever done that? I'd be scared of getting bottle bombs by adding highly active yeast to a finished brew. A package of Nottingham is 11.5 grams, so even a gram of dry yeast is a helluva lot of yeast.

How do those little carbonation pills that you add one per bottle work? Do they also require active yeast in suspension to do their thing?

Old 11-01-2006, 02:57 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Those drops are just pre-measured sugar. They kinda remind me of these candies that my grandparents always used to have around.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 11-01-2006, 02:59 PM   #6
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, then you still have to have yeast. Introducing a controlled amount of yeast would be key, I suppose.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:08 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

From all that I've read, you still have enough yeast in suspension, even after a long period of cold conditioning, to bottle-carb. I imagine it'll take a bit longer, though.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:27 PM   #8
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer4breakfast
Ok, then you still have to have yeast. Introducing a controlled amount of yeast would be key, I suppose.
It's not the amount of yeast that's added, it's the amount of fermentables. The yeast will grow to match the amount of fermentables present if it is underpitched, and if overpitched it will just rapidly ferment whatever is there but it can't produce extra food.

When I am bottle priming and am planning to age a beer for more than 6-8 weeks in the secondary I like to harvest some yeast from the primary and save it in the fridge. I then reintroduce it to the secondary ~3 days before bottling which has always resulted in a good, clean bottle fermentation.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:39 PM   #9
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

BvBG, do you harvest the yeast at high kreausen?

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:14 PM   #10
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, in the instances where i disturbed the trub, I wasn't clarifying as much as I was conditioning. They were both stouts. And since both of them were actually in tertiary, the amount of trub was miniscule...shouldn't affect clarity at all.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply