The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Subbing dandelions for bittering hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #11
motorneuron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I bought that Magic Hat dandelion stuff and found it really bad. Like, kind of disgusting. Maybe it was the sequence I had it in (had just sampled one of my own homebrewed double IPAs--delicious!), but it literally tasted like vomit. That is my only experience with dandelion alcoholic beverages, and it's put me off for a little while!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #12
Retroviridae
Recipes 

I'm trying the Magic Hat Pistil dandelion beer right now. It's ok. Light, easy to drink on our first warm night of the spring. Aroma is lemony, yeasty, cut grass, and a little sour. But I think I can detect the bitterness from the dandelion, and I don't think it's very pleasant. It's sort of an acrid bitterness that lingers too long on the back of my tongue. It's not horrible, but this doesn't make me interested in trying dandelion to bitter my homebrew...

Old 04-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
Unferth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Thanks to all for the tasting notes!

I think I know from eating dandilions greens the sort of bitterness you're talking about... Grassy is a good descriptor. Perhaps a sharper more sulky version of arugula.

I kind of like that taste, so I think I'll give this a go when dandilions are blooming a bit more emphatically.

But first I'm going to get ahold of this magic hat beer... I haven't seen their stuff around so it might take a bit.

Quick Reply