Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Stupid Dry Yeast Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2005, 02:21 AM   #11
Shambolic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I rehydrate my yeast (plain water) until stuff stops happening, then stir in a few spoonfuls of DME to get a starter going. It works well.

Bottled/Drinking:
Common Swill
Stormy Night Porter
Lobrau Amber Ale (Mk. II)
Rain Dog Ale
Quantum Pale Ale

Coming Up:
Maybe a pilsner...
Quantum Pale Ale (Mk. II)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2005, 07:27 PM   #12
barleypopmaker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have rehydrated my yeast both ways and the "just sprinkle it in" can work. That's how I did it before, now I do so with warm water because I read that more of the yeast survive that way. You can damage the yeast if you add it dry directly to the wort, but many will survive and you will still get OK fermentation.

I have tried the Beano trick once, and for me it was not worth it. I wanted to get that extra drop in gravity points and I think what I got was only an extra .001 OR .002 . But others may have had better results. Not worth the risk of picking something up in my opinion. I added the beano to the seconday. From what I read the simple version is that Beano contains an Enzyme that transforms the non-fermentable sugars to Fermentable sugars.

Jason Johnson -
www.barleypopmaker.info

Beers currently on tap from Myfa King Ales and Lagers: Sessionable Wheaton American Ale (A.K.A White IPA/Session IPA), Spiced Winter Ale, Barleywine Style Lager
In Primary: American Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply