Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Strange technique used in Rochefort clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Strange technique used in Rochefort clone

My mother in law bought me the book Clone Brews and I decided to give their Rochefort 8 clone a try. The directions say that 3 days before bottling to prime the beer with another dose of the same yeast strain and bottle when fermentation is complete.

This seems strange to me only because I have never seen this technique used before. Has anyone ever done this and what is the exact purpose of this technique ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
beerloaf
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Not unusual at all for Belgian beers. If you have a chance get and read Brew Like a Monk. It goes into great detail about bottling with fresh yeast. They do it for flavor profile and to help carbonate the beers. The beers this is used for are usually bottle conditioned for some time. The fresh yeast helps that process.

"Look, let me explain something to you. I'm not Mr. Lebowski. You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That or His Dudeness... Duder... or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing." -The Dude

Old 12-14-2011, 12:52 AM   #3
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerloaf View Post
Not unusual at all for Belgian beers. If you have a chance get and read Brew Like a Monk. It goes into great detail about bottling with fresh yeast. They do it for flavor profile and to help carbonate the beers. The beers this is used for are usually bottle conditioned for some time. The fresh yeast helps that process.
Thanks for the info. This is my first Belgian so that would explain why I haven't run into it.

Appreciate it.

Quick Reply