Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > strange looking secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2007, 12:53 AM   #1
EmptyH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default strange looking secondary

I have a stout in the secondary that has a thin film on the top of it and bubbles, not quite like a krausen (sp?) more like one large bubble surrounded by several tiny bubbles, space and then repeat. I just sanitized a turkey baster and took a sample. It doesn't taste sour or smell bad so I think I am ok, but I was just wondering what that was. I am relaxing and having a homebrew (belgian ale) but I am curious, is this normal and if so what is it?

Thanks

Primary-Hefe
Secondary-Stout
Bottled- Vanilla Stout
Drinking- English Brown Ale, Amber Belgian Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2007, 02:28 AM   #2
pmcquain
Recipes 

I racked my Fuggle's IPA to secondary last Saturday night and noticed the same thing on mine. I think it's just co2 collecting on the surface, but it's only my third batch and my first time racking to a secondary

-pete-

Old 03-23-2007, 05:21 AM   #3
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Cold weather, both of you? What yeasts ?

I thinK that ale yeast behave funny when too cool. I had similar stuff last batch, and the one in the secondary now did just a bit of it. I used Cal V, which is a very warm weather friend. I'm in San Diego, my fermenter probably got down to the low 50's on the patio. Current batch I've kept inside, much better at 65-70.

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 03-23-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
EmptyH
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used White Labs trappist yeast. It hasn't been especially cold inside but I have gotten a few temperature swings. Spring time in KY it gets cold out for a few days and then warms up and I haven't wanted to keep turning the furnace on and then the AC and the back again so the temp in the house has been anywhere from 70-78.

I am bottling the stout today. I will keep you updated on how it turns out.

Thanks

Primary-Hefe
Secondary-Stout
Bottled- Vanilla Stout
Drinking- English Brown Ale, Amber Belgian Ale

Quick Reply