Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Straining hops from Pliny Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
Bisco_Ben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 50

"I just put the paint strainer bag in the bottling bucket and rack into it. After I'm down to the last gallon of wasted beer and hop sludge I just pull the siphon and remove the bag which is now loaded with hops. On the monster iipa's like Pliny I may end up with hop haze but I kinda feel like a beer that hoppy should have a slight haze(flame on if you must). I've never had any issues with clogging using this method and I frequently brew ipa's with a pound of hops and 4-5 ounces of loose dry hopped pellets."

+1! I have just started doing this and I could not be happier with how much better it seems to work than any other method I have tried. I use one of those big "sparging bags" that fits the bottling bucket perfectly. It even seems to take out a good amount of trub/solidified protein nastiness. Since this works so well I have now done away with using my hop bag in the kettle due to it being a PITA and I also feel that it was decreasing hop utilization.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
lpdjshaw
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I whirlpool for around a 1/2 hr and have my pick-up tube off to the side and up off the bottom about 1/2", then i gravity transfer into my fermentor through a fine sieve. I get nice aerated wort with almost no hops/trub. Granted, I'm not using a pound of hops but I've brewed a few with 10 to 12 oz and it seems to work pretty good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply