The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Strainer Bags for Dry Hopping

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
MSKBeerfan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Strainer Bags for Dry Hopping

I want to do some dry hopping and have a question about using strainer bags in the secondary. Should these bags (Disposable type) be soaked in Santizier solution prior to loading with pellet or whole hops and entering the secondary, I just want to make sure I don't put something that could cause bacteria into the secondary...

Thanks for the advice...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
dvdanny
Recipes 

I boil the empty bags in water for a few minutes, takes care of any nasties. That said i don't use them for glass carboy's anymore, they swell up and are a bitch to get out. Hops go straight in from now on.

Primary:
"Armored Pegasus" - Extra IPA
Bottled:
"Queen of Thrace" Almond Cream Stout, "Genesis" Ancient Hebrew Smoked Date Beer, "Lumberjack" Maple Dunkelweizen (10% abv), "1776" Molasses Porter, "Scarecrow" American heavily hopped Hefe, "Iron Horse" American Amber

Old 12-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
tcory77
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

sanitize the bag for sure, if you use one.

I don't use a bag when I dry hop. The pellets go straight in. I use a strainer bag tied around my auto siphon when I rack to a keg or bottling bucket. It keeps the hop sludge out of the beer.

In fact just got done kegging a SN Torpedo type of beer a couple of hours ago. Strainer bag worked like a charm. Clear beer is all that came out!!!!

Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
MSKBeerfan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great, thanks for the insight... I did not think of that issue... I guess both have there positive and negatives.

Quick Reply