Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > To strain or not to strain that is the question?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2005, 12:31 AM   #31
bikebryan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijake1
I realize this thread it a little old, but i thought i would add something. to strain my wort, i just go to the paint department at home depot and buy a 5 gallon paint strainer for like $1, it has an elastic band around the top that fits onto my ferminting bucket. I put the strainer on the bucket pour the wort in, chill it then just pull the strainer out and throw it all in the trash
Bad move.

From what I gather in your post, you are straining your hot wort as you pour it into your primary fermenter, then chilling it. This causes hot-side aeration, which is a bad thing. You don't want to aerate your wort until AFTER you chill it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2005, 04:35 AM   #32
gijake1
Recipes 

the paint strainer is big enough that it goes to the bottom of the bucket, so its no different than just pouring it into the fermenter. I brewed a batch this weekend and cooled it in the brew pot instead of the fermenter so either way it was cool first.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:20 PM   #33
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijake1
the paint strainer is big enough that it goes to the bottom of the bucket, so its no different than just pouring it into the fermenter. I brewed a batch this weekend and cooled it in the brew pot instead of the fermenter so either way it was cool first.
It doesn't matter how big or small the strainer is, or whether it sits in the bottom of the bucket. if you pour while the wort is hot, you'll get splashing, sloshing and a lot of hot side aeration, which is bad. Once it's cooled, I'd say go for it, but not while the wort is still hot.

Personall, I use an immersion chiller for a rapid cool down, then siphon to primary using my auto-siphon. Most of the solids stay in the kettle thanks to the anti-sediment tip on the auto-siphon; what makes it into the primary is virtually all left behind when I rack from primary to secondary.

Old 08-24-2005, 01:24 AM   #34
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

bikebryan, I'm curious , why is hot side aeration bad?

Old 08-24-2005, 07:57 AM   #35
wild
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudster
why is hot side aeration bad?
Mr. Wizard covered HSA and gives a good expanation.

Wild
  3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Quick Reply