The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > To strain or not to strain that is the question?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2005, 12:34 PM   #1
2nd Street Brewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default To strain or not to strain that is the question?

How many of you strain/filter your wort when transfering it from the brew pot to the primary fermenter? I always get more sludge then I want no matter how careful I am. I was looking at a large strainer to help but when I asked the guy at my local HBS he said that it would over oxygenate the brew. I know oxygen is bad for fermented material but is neccessary to promote good yeast activity. I don't see where using a strainer is going to do more then just pouring it from one to the other.

Thanks

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2005, 12:45 PM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use a nylon net over the primary.

Lately I've used cheesecloth inside the net. Seems to filter out a bit more, but I also used leaves in conjunction with pellets on my last batches.

I reuse my yeast and have tried to filter the hops out because it adds bitterness. I've also reduced my bittering hops by half in the next batch to compensate for the added bitterness.

I suspect if I used all leaves then it wouldn't be so junky. The problem is finding the hops you want (or have on hand) in leaf form. I know ordering ONLY leaves should solve the problem, but it's mostly based on availability.

I've read that if you use pellets there's no need to filter them out in the primary. I don't think so, especially if you plan on reusing the yeast.

Old 07-08-2005, 01:01 PM   #3
Gilbey
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I never have filtered, never really saw the need. I do steep grains and put my hops in muslin bags when I boil (or dry hop), but never filitered....never found the need. I keg my beer, and I find that the first pint off a new keg will have a bit of "stuff" in it, but after one or two it is nearly non-existant.

IMHO if there is a bit of floatsum in a pint it just adds to the character of homebrew .

Gilbey

Old 07-08-2005, 01:19 PM   #4
Justin Chomel
Recipes 

I only strained a couple of times because it didn't work well. The strainer would get clogged and clog up my funnel. I use whole leaf hops with a false bottom on my kettle and the false bottom filters the hops out.

You could go into a carboy, let it settle, syphon off the top into another carboy and pitch.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Old 07-08-2005, 01:20 PM   #5
wild
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I do filter one beer now. I never used to and still don't when I brew my standard just for myself but when I brew it for town and state events, I'll filter it for the public. It's a 6-day American Brown from kettle to mug and a quick run through a 1 micron filter really pretties it up for them.

Wild

3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Old 07-08-2005, 01:36 PM   #6
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i wrack out of my kettle into the primary... though after the last debacle resulting in much wailing and nashing of teeth, i am thinking of bolting the weldless sigot on my kettle.... i am worried about the pellet hops cloggin my drain system though.

usually the cooling wort settles all the hop and trub and i aim for about three inches from the bottom of the kettle with my cane... when it gets down to the bottom, i tilt the kettle and syphon out as much as i can without getting too much hops or trub in there.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 07-08-2005, 11:05 PM   #7
AlaskaAl(e)
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm with Gilbey, I don't really filter either. I use a nylon bag for my steeping grains and nylon for my hops. They do a pretty good job keeping all the stuff contained and what little does escape gets taken care of when I rack from primary to secondary. I do get a little bit of yeast sucked up from the keg into the first pitcher or so but it all tastes like beer to me.

Old 07-10-2005, 07:57 PM   #8
neldor19
Recipes 

I use a copper scrubby attached to the intake end of the copper tubing inside my boil keg.It works very well,whatever sneaks through settles out in the primary.Just be carefully the scrubby dont hold the tubing off the bottom of the kettle.The first time I used it I lost almost a gallon of wort because of this.As far as over oxygenating,as long as your wort is below 80 degrees,pouring it through a strainer shouldnt be a problem.Maybe your LHBS guy was reffering to hot side airation.I mean,a lot of homebrewers are injecting pure oxygen into their wort with air stones.I personaly pour my wort back and forth in buckets six times before I pitch.I highly doubt pouring it through a strainer is going to over oxygenate your wort as long as its nice and cool.You can also try whirlpooling.I always whirlpooled my wort before I got my converted boil keg and it worked very well also.

Old 07-11-2005, 07:02 AM   #9
Dienekles
Recipes 

Default Hmm

What I do:

Use sanitized mesh strainer, a sanitized spoon, and lightly boiled grain bag (just boil it with your extra water if your doing partial mash in a 3 gallon pot or clean it however you see fit).

Place the large grain bag over the opening of the primary, fasten in place. Pout the majority of the wort directly through the grain bag - when you get to the bottom of pot where the protiens have come to rest:

Use the stainer and spoon to catch all the large pieces of protien(use the spoon to move the protiens around so that they cannot clog the strainer.)

The strainer will remove much of the large particles, and the grain bag will remove the smaller ones.

Unfortunately in all my experiences you still get a large amount of trube in the bottom of the primary - this is unavoidable without more advanced equipment (Ie. more than a bucket lol)

Hope I could help!

Old 07-11-2005, 07:20 AM   #10
JacktheKnife
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default JacktheKnife

Hmmm an interesting idea, straining the wort.

I never have used a strainer either, being more worried about sterility than anything. After the secondary ferminter the trub is basically left behind.
Only the white spent yeast cells which cling to the bottom of the bottles necesitate leaving the last 1/3" in the bottle.

JacktheKnife

Quick Reply