Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > To strain or not to strain...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2007, 04:24 AM   #1
lfarah
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default To strain or not to strain...

So I'm on my second batch ever...brewin' a beach blanket blonde. My first batch was a london pub ale and it turned out pretty good...so my friends and family say.

In any event, I have just been dumping my whole wort into my primary, aerating it and starting the fermentation process. Should I be straining my wort before I place it in primary?

I rack to secondary and in that process I leave most of the trub behind...but does leaving all the trub from the wort in my primary alter the flavor at all? or does straining in the beginning simply make life easier come bottling/secondary time?

Thanx guys,

Louie

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2007, 04:27 AM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Lots will argue that getting rid of the spent hops and excess break material is critical; I've made good beer without being able to strain well, but maybe it could have been better....

Get yourself a fine-wire mesh collander/strainer - $15 or so at Target. It'll take out most of the hops/break material, and also help aerate. Won't help if you primary in a carboy, if you primary in a bucket, find one that will fit right on top, works like a charm.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:31 AM   #3
paranode
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have heard some say to strain it and some say that sitting on that stuff for a short period of time actually adds a little body and character to the beer. I strain most of it but plenty still gets in there. As long as you don't let it sit on there for too long I don't think it makes much difference personally.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:35 AM   #4
jeff

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Lots will argue that getting rid of the spent hops and excess break material is critical; I've made good beer without being able to strain well, but maybe it could have been better....

Get yourself a fine-wire mesh collander/strainer - $15 or so at Target. It'll take out most of the hops/break material, and also help aerate. Won't help if you primary in a carboy, if you primary in a bucket, find one that will fit right on top, works like a charm.
I agree with The Bird. I used a cheapo supermarket strainer for several years and my beers turned out just fine. I did use it with a carboy though. I sat it on top of the funnel that was leading into the carboy and poured through it. Some stuff gets through, but it settles out relatively quickly.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
wild
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I've never noticed a difference in flavor between straining or not. I do believe more beer is lost in the thicker trub of the unstrained primary.

Wild

3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Old 08-30-2007, 04:32 PM   #6
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I would imagine hop residue in the primary would cause flavors that no hop residue in the primary would not. But in any event, it is hops, so it is not like it is going to cause anything necessarily off. If you like your beer when it is not strained, dont worry about it. If you think flavor would improve, then go for it; like it has been mentioned, a strainer can be bought pretty cheaply.

I personally strain mine, but I dont think that it is 100% necessary.

Old 08-30-2007, 04:42 PM   #7
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

yes the hops in the trub do flavor the wort further in primary....so the experts say.

I never strain, but I also don't pour every last drop into the fermenter...I try to pour as much as I can and when trub starts pouring, I stop.

I might be losing 4 cups of wort like this....just a guess I never measured it.

Mesh strainers for straining paint are supposed to work great though.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply