Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Stock pot not big enough...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
budchx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stock pot not big enough...

Hi,my MLT is ready for my first all grain batch but I do not have a stock pot big enough for a full boil!what can I do?!
Split my wort into 2 pot?if yes should I split my hops addition?half in each pot?
Any other ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 819 Times on 568 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Reduce the size of your batch to something that will fit in the pot.

Everything in a recipe scales, so reduce every ingredient by 20% and do a 4 gallon batch, reduce by 50% and do 2.5 gallons, etc.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 501 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

If you want to do this you need to be able to collect all the runnings into one vessel to ensure that everything mixes well and each batch is equal when split. Assuming you split the total volume exactly you can then split all the ingredients equally as if brewing two batches.

If you are going from extract partial boils to AG full boils and are not already doing so, go get a turkey fryer set up so you can brew outdoors. You'll get a big enough pot and burner as well. If you were planning on doing full boils on a range-good luck, most people cannot get that volume to boil indoors on a stove/range.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
HomebrewMTB
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Watch your water volumes if you do split pots. Your boil off will be double. If you have software, use half batch number times two.

You can get a heavy duty 40 qt aluminum pot for around $50 shipped. These are so much nicer than the turkey fryer pots. There are some other considerations going full boil though. You'll need a way to boil the larger volume (stove top probably isn't enough) and way to chill the volume in a reasonable amount of time.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS