Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Stirring mash before sparge - question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2013, 02:18 AM   #11
smccarter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I brewed the same beer twice today sparging two different ways....

NB Surly Bitter Brewer clone.

Beer 1:
Mash temp 152, 2.5 gallons water
Sparge water - 5 gal total, 170 degrees
Fly sparge for about 30 minutes
Pre-boil volume - 6.4 gal
Pre-boil gravity - 1.033
Post-boil volume - 5.5 gal
OG - 1.040
Efficiency - 66%

Beer 2:
Batch sparge
- first runnings
- second runnings, 2.5 gal
- third runnings, 2.5 gal
Pre-boil volume - 6.5 gal
Pre-boil gravity - 1.040
Post-boil volume - 5 gal
OG - 1.046
Efficiency - 80%

First time batch sparging for me. I think this is a change in process that will stick for me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #12
DoWBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarter View Post
I brewed the same beer twice today sparging two different ways....

NB Surly Bitter Brewer clone.

Beer 1:
Fly sparge for about 30 minutes
Pre-boil volume - 6.4 gal
Pre-boil gravity - 1.033
Post-boil volume - 5.5 gal
OG - 1.040
Efficiency - 66%

Beer 2:
Batch sparge
- first runnings
- second runnings, 2.5 gal
- third runnings, 2.5 gal
Pre-boil volume - 6.5 gal
Pre-boil gravity - 1.040
Post-boil volume - 5 gal
OG - 1.046
Efficiency - 80%

First time batch sparging for me. I think this is a change in process that will stick for me.
I may have to try that method to see how it compares to a single sparge. What is your reasoning for doing the second infusion?

Old 09-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
smccarter
Recipes 

I've always used the fly sparge method, and always wondered how much sugar I was throwing out with the spent grain. Just wanted to see if this made a difference.

As far as the second infusion... Read about batch sparging and followed the instructions. 1. drain the mash liquid, 2. add half of your sparge water, stir and drain, 3. add the last half of your sparge water, stir and drain.

Not sure this method is actually correct... I'll have to read a bit more about it.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #14
ianw58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccarter View Post
Not sure this method is actually correct... I'll have to read a bit more about it.
If it's not, it's what I've been doing for the past half dozen batches.

The only addition would be running the wort through my pump to vorlauft. Five or ten minutes gets the runnings nice and clear.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:57 AM   #15
NewkyBrown
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWBrewer

That sounds like a solid plan. You need to keep an eye on your gravity with the second sparge. Once you drop below a certain gravity you want stop because you will get off flavors.
I never knew this. What sort of off flavors does this produce? What is the minimum gravity you would want to see?

Thanks.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:07 AM   #16
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 569 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWBrewer View Post
That sounds like a solid plan. You need to keep an eye on your gravity with the second sparge. Once you drop below a certain gravity you want stop because you will get off flavors.
Really? Why would you say that.

If you have done everything right you will end up with the right amount of wort and the proper preboil gravity. If the gravity gets too low the only thing that will happen is that you will have a lower gravity beer - lower ABV.

Unless you count weak beer as an off flavor.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:12 AM   #17
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 569 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 156

You can batch sparge with just a single addition of sparge water. There is no real need to split it in half. I do, but that is because I find it easier to adjust the volume of the second sparge to make sure I get the right pre-boil volume.

I mash then stir like crazy, vorlauf and drain, add 1st sparge water, stir like crazy, vorlauf and drain, add 2nd sparge water, stir like crazy, vorlauf and final drain.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:17 PM   #18
DoWBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewkyBrown

I never knew this. What sort of off flavors does this produce? What is the minimum gravity you would want to see?

Thanks.
I will have to look it up, but I think once you drop below the 1.010 range you start extracting tannins ect. You don't really want your efficiency to get much past the 80s. I will see if can find the exact number.

The idea comes more from breweries fly sparging with larger hot liquor capacity. They run until they hit their gravity taking into account their boil off. Since they can keeping running hot liquor and are trying maximize efficiency, they monitor the runoff gravity to know when to stop for gravity or off flavor extraction.

To be honest, this is the outer reaches of my knowledge. Someone who is more knowledgable might be able to explain it more accurately.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #19
NewkyBrown
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10
You can batch sparge with just a single addition of sparge water. There is no real need to split it in half. I do, but that is because I find it easier to adjust the volume of the second sparge to make sure I get the right pre-boil volume.

I mash then stir like crazy, vorlauf and drain, add 1st sparge water, stir like crazy, vorlauf and drain, add 2nd sparge water, stir like crazy, vorlauf and final drain.
I knew/thought to stir straight after the mash. I also don't stir too much after adding sparge water. Doh! I guess my efficiency will be much higher next time!

Old 09-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #20
smccarter
Recipes 

I have to say it again. I tried batch sparging for the first time last weekend. It just makes perfect sense to me. If a brewery continually aggitates their mash, and many home brewers stir their mash continually, why wouldn't you want to stir the lauter tun? Obviously resetting the grain bed before draining.

After posting this and on another thread, I'm seeing that there are folks that are absolute fly spargers - if that's a thing. It seems almost like an argument. Not really sure if it should be.

I'm brewing again tomorrow. It'll be another double batch day using the same recipe. I'll fly sparge the first batch and batch sparge the second and post my readings. I'll try to be a bit more exacting on the measurements. The problem is... my equipment is home brewing equipment. If I could only buy a major brewery with the most modern equipment and technology ... then I could do all of my home brewing there and would be able to get every reading to the nearest nth. (end sarcasm)...

Quick Reply