The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Stirplate Starter Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
Milhouse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Stirplate Starter Question

So I put together my homemade stirplate 2 weeks ago, and purchased a 1000ml flask. I boiled maybe 850ml of water with 3 ounzes of DME in the flask, cooled to 70, added a vial of liquid yeast (Ringwood). This gave me the 1000ml needed. I placed tin foil on top and let the stiplate do its job. Later that night the yeast was bubbling out of the flask. I assumed I shouldn't have used that great of a volume. What volume of a starter would you suggest when using a 1000ml flask?

Mr. C's Premium Home Brews

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the
government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense
of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
Nerro
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you're going to make a starter of 1 L (=1000 mL) you need the next size up which in most assortments would be 2000 mL. In your case I'd shoot for 500 mL. You can fit an absolutely ungodly amount of yeast cells in 500 mL.

Add the DME and nutrients (half a teaspoon per 1 oz. or so) in a stepped arrangement to grow lots of yeast fast. For 1000 mL one would normally recommend ~4 oz. (~100 g) of DME per 1000 mL of starter. You could use 500 mL and add portions of 1 oz. each over the course of 4 or 5 days. That way you keep the density low which helps the yeast swim around and keeps frothing down a bit. In the end you should have a nice huge amount of yeast cells and not too much icky muck to add to your beer.

Be sure to use some sterile cotton wool to close the neck of the flask. You don't want nasties floating around.

"It has served us well, this myth of [guess who]."
- Pope Leo X

Old 03-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You definitely don't want to reduce the size of your starter because you won't really get much yeast growth below a volume of 850 mL (fine if you just want to proof the yeast). I think your method sounds fine -- all you need are some foam control drops (e.g., Fermcap-S). That will eliminate the bubbling and over-flow out of your flask. I use it in every starter now. Magic stuff.

As previously mentioned, you will get more yeast growth if you feed it incrementally. This is a bit of a pain, but you might consider a two-step starter if you don't want to get a larger flask.

Quick Reply