The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Is It Still Going?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #1
Saint Arnould
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is It Still Going?

So.....I was brewing a clone of Dogfish Head's Midas Touch (Malt, Honey, and grape juice in the bill). It's a 9% ABV, so it's heavy, but nothing outrageous. My LHBS gave me Safale S-05 to use. I brewed it up, pitched the yeast straight on (no starter), fermented swamp cooler style, with an ambient a little over 60 F. Two weeks later I racked to secondary. Once it got in there, it foamed up. Two weeks later, I added some oak, and there was still foam and bubbles. Now on week 5 of this little drama, and I still have krausen!! I ditched the swamp cooling, so the temp went up a few degrees, but the airlock still pumps, and there is still this foamy head on this thing. Is it still fermenting?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2008, 06:40 PM   #2
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Take a hydro reading then take another in 2 days if your gravity is stable its not fermenting if it dropped it is.

Where did you get the clone recipe for Midas Touch? That stuff is so good, I'd love to brew up a batch.
Also why did you add the oak? I dont recall any oak type flavors in it and the recipe is made from residue found in a bowl that was thousands of years old in the middle east so I dont think they'd have had oak or barrels for aging anyway they would have most likely stored in a clay vessel.

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Bottle Conditioning - None
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead
In the Works - Summer Rye for my wedding, May 15, 2010

Old 02-08-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
Saint Arnould
Recipes 

It's in the book...."Extreme Brewing" from the DFH main brewer guy. It;s got a lot of their standards, like 60 min IPA.

I thought the oaking might add to the hybrid nature of the beverage (beer/mead/wine). Just something different...

Old 02-08-2008, 10:57 PM   #4
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Hydro readings are the only way to know if Fermentation is complete.

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock

Quick Reply