Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Still fermenting after 3 weeks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2007, 09:01 PM   #1
AleHole
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Default Still fermenting after 3 weeks

My first Porter spent one week in the primary and now its been 2 weeks in the secondary and is still actively fermenting. The airlock is burping 2-3 times a minute and you can see the yeast working away. I have never seen an active fermentation last this long. Has anyone else seen this before?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Had a barleywine go for 4 months. If you rack too soon, there is only a little yeast transferred and it can take a long time to finish. It's much better to leave it in the primary until done.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-08-2007, 11:23 PM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Frequently, especially when it gets cold.

-a.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:26 PM   #4
lefteye
Recipes 

Like David said and was prob under pitched

Old 02-09-2007, 01:46 AM   #5
MA_Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I just transfered an ale to secondary - I thought it was done, but nope. When I was racking, it was at 1.022 - and in secondary, it started up again. Oh well. I don't usually check for fermentation done-ness with the hydrometer, too much effort. Hasn't been an issue for me until now.

I think, for me, it was the temperature - fairly cold in the basement, even though I put a brew-belt on the carboy, it was probably 66 or 68 deg. F or so. Basement is probably around 60, but the carboy is near an outside foundation wall.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:52 AM   #6
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's been cold here in Wisconsin this winter. My altbier (made with 9 lbs of extract) took over a month to finish in the primary. All of my brews are going slow this winter. I expect they will turn out really good, too.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:09 AM   #7
AleHole
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

I think what happened is I had a stuck fermentation. I have been trying to keep the house at least 65 deg even when I am not home but we had a few cold nights and I think the house may have gotten a bit colder than the yeast like. If I would have taken a OG reading before racking to the secondary I would have been better off. SG was 1.030 after 1 week. Oh well, I am being optimistc that this will be my best batch yet!

Quick Reply