Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Still cider questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2014, 11:54 PM   #1
robodeath
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Still cider questions

I have a friend that can't drink carbonated beverages but loves cider. Can I just make a batch of cider like I normally do (sodium metabisulfite and backsweeten) and just bottle them? I usually keg everything I make, but if I bottle it after sodium metabisulfite it will not ferment and be a still cider?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2014, 12:16 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4479 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by robodeath View Post
I have a friend that can't drink carbonated beverages but loves cider. Can I just make a batch of cider like I normally do (sodium metabisulfite and backsweeten) and just bottle them? I usually keg everything I make, but if I bottle it after sodium metabisulfite it will not ferment and be a still cider?
Yes, but not with sulfite. You need sorbate to prevent yeast reproduction, ans sulfite doesn't do that.

Once the cider is totally and completely clear (has to be to stop re-fermentation), simply rack onto a solution of sorbate and some sulfite (sulfite makes the sorbate work better) and then three days later, sweeten, and then three days after that you can bottle.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:36 AM   #3
robodeath
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Yes, but not with sulfite. You need sorbate to prevent yeast reproduction, ans sulfite doesn't do that.

Once the cider is totally and completely clear (has to be to stop re-fermentation), simply rack onto a solution of sorbate and some sulfite (sulfite makes the sorbate work better) and then three days later, sweeten, and then three days after that you can bottle.
Doh, I meant to say potassium sorbate and campden tablets, I even have a bag of it in my closet.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:12 AM   #4
Cposten
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I work as a winemaker at a place that makes a couple apple wines. Like yooper said, sulfite and sorbate will do the trick. If you have a way of testing sulfites you want to get as close to 50ppm as you can. Also about a gram of sorbate/gal. Maybe .5gram if its on the drier side. After the addition give it some time to settle and youll be good my friend.

Quick Reply