Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Stepping up starter during fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
hal simmons
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Stepping up starter during fermentation

I've got some PacMan yeast a cultured from a Dead Guy bottle two days ago. It's going along well and it've got quite a bit of yeast in the bottle of a 2L growler. I'm wanting to step up the starter to get a larger quantity of yeast before I move it to the fridge to save for brewing. I'm past the initial yeast development phase and into or almost done with active fermentation. Can I step up the current 16oz. starter to a full 2L during active fermentation? Or should I wait till it's done fermenting, chill, decant the liquid, and then step it up after that?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2008, 06:59 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

A bunch of us are doing the same thing this week....

Prof Fink gives good advice here;

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=63855

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
hal simmons
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I guess my question is there are three phases I can think of. Yeast growth and muliplication, then active fermentation, then completion where the yeast settle back down to the bottom. I've read about people stepping up during the growth phase as well as waiting till fermentation is done, and pitching into a larger body of wort, but can you pitch more wort while the yeast is actively fermenting in order to build up more yeast?

Old 05-01-2008, 07:35 PM   #4
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I'm in the same boat this week and wondering the same thing. Just add more wort? Or throw it in the fridge, decant the old stuff (lazy unsettled yeast) and add fresh wort? Trying to step up from 2 cups to 2L.

Next: RIS
Fermenting: Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Dusseldorf Altbier v5, Oktoberfest v5, Dopplebock v2, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 05-01-2008, 11:23 PM   #5
wedge421
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Im the starter of the Pacman yeast thread you guys were refered to. What I have been doing is just adding more wort to the situation. Once my 2L flask shows up Im going to fridge the yeast/wort combo I have now and then pour all the yeast into the 2L falsk and start over. I think once fermentables are added into the tired yeast they get active again and start to multiply.

Quick Reply