Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Step by step of my brewday: Doing a massive hop stand

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2013, 05:14 AM   #31
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavagai View Post
I recently did a similar experiment, except I didn't add any mash hops. I did a split batch, half of which (2.5 gallons) received 3 oz of hops held at 200F for 30 minutes, and half of which received 3 oz of hops held at 175 for 30 minutes. The 200 beer was plenty bitter, maybe 40 IBUs. The 175 beer was markedly less bitter, but certainly not cloyingly sweet—maybe 25 IBUs. The 175 beer had more hop aroma.
Thanks for the info! Your hopping amount of 14.4 oz per 12 gallons is similar to mine (16 oz per 12 gallons). Just different temps and time.

To be clear, I didn't add any mash hops either.

Both fermenters are still actively fermenting... I'll likely give them 2 weeks to finish up fermenting and allow the yeast a chance to clean up after itself and then rack and dry hop.

Kal

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #32
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavagai
I recently did a similar experiment, except I didn't add any mash hops. I did a split batch, half of which (2.5 gallons) received 3 oz of hops held at 200F for 30 minutes, and half of which received 3 oz of hops held at 175 for 30 minutes. The 200 beer was plenty bitter, maybe 40 IBUs. The 175 beer was markedly less bitter, but certainly not cloyingly sweet—maybe 25 IBUs. The 175 beer had more hop aroma.
What kind of beer was it? I want to try this in an average strength pale ale but don't know how much hops to use.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #33
Gavagai
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It was a 1.053 pale ale. Based on my results, I think that a 30 minute hopstand at 200 is about equivalent in IBUs to a 5 minute addition (Tinseth), while a 30 minute hopstand at 175 is about equivalent to a 3 minute addition.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #34
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavagai
It was a 1.053 pale ale. Based on my results, I think that a 30 minute hopstand at 200 is about equivalent in IBUs to a 5 minute addition (Tinseth), while a 30 minute hopstand at 175 is about equivalent to a 3 minute addition.
Thanks, that's great info and I'll try out your calculations in my next batch.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #35
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

UPDATE:

I tried a taste of this beer last night when I took a gravity reading (it's been 9 days since I pitched and it's down to 1.012, I figure it'll end up around 1.010 which is where I was hoping it would end up).

Normally I don't take readings until a good two weeks or so (depends on the beer/fermentation temp/etc.) have passed and I know it's done fermenting and cleaning up, but this one was a special case since I only added hops only after the boil (16 oz).

I was worried that it would be overly hoppy but it's actually the opposite: If I was to get it analyzed, the measured IBUs is likely in the 30-40 range at the most. It's really hard to tell. There's bitterness but it's extremely smooth with a ton of hop flavour and aroma. The best way to describe it is it tastes the way a handful of hops smells when you hold them up to your face. Not astringent or bitter, just tons of flavour.

It'll be interesting to see how it behaves over time, if it fades at all. The competition this will be entered in is in exactly 6 weeks. By the time I dry hop and keg, it should have a good 4 weeks in the keg carbonating and conditioning. It should be in its prime.

Fingers crossed!

Kal

People Like This 
Old 03-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #36
Gavagai
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sounds like your results are in the same ballpark as mine, although it's hard to a make direct comparison because of the temperature curve on your first hop addition. I found the aromatics to be extremely floral, but I used a bunch of Amarillo.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #37
tinytowers
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I tried the hop stand method on my last batch and I ended up with an extremely hazy/cloudy beer. I dropped my IC in after flameout for a bit too long and dropped it down to 150 before starting the hop stand. I let the hops steep for 30 minutes and then cooled to 65. I'm thinking the fact that I dropped it below the target 170-180 caused the lack of cold break. Anyone else have any problems with lack of cold break using hop stands? If so, what temps should I be at to avoid this?

Old 03-27-2013, 01:09 AM   #38
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

DAY 12:

Gravity has dropped to 1.010 - 1.011 (@68F). Beer was racked to 5 gallon glass carboys and 2 oz of dry hops added.
The hop flavours/aromas have not subsided as far as I can tell. Hopefully it'll stay that way.
At nearly 6 % ABV this beer teeters on the edge between an American Pale Ale and an American IPA, so it can take the extra hop flavours/aromas.

Kal

Old 03-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #39
MNDan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Any concerns that the hops aren't submerged? Or will they eventually fall to the bottom? Looks great & I can't wait to hear more about the results!

Old 03-27-2013, 07:47 PM   #40
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNDan View Post
Any concerns that the hops aren't submerged? Or will they eventually fall to the bottom? Looks great & I can't wait to hear more about the results!
They are wet and they do tend to drop after a few days. That said, I also swirl them from time to time but they do eventually fall.

This is no different from any other dry hopping - it's not specific to this experiment.

Kal

Quick Reply