New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Steeping grains without a bag?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
Needsanamebrewery
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Steeping grains without a bag?

Is there an advantage to using a bag to steep your grains in? Other than not having to strain? Seems to me that I could extract more "grain juice" if the grains were separated more. I steep inside on the stove and just add the juice to my full boil outside on the burner.

Thoughts?

"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer."
-Dave Barry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3471 Times on 3363 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's just a personal preference. You can get separation in a bag if you stir gently for a couple of minutes. I like the bag. Takes the straining out of it.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
Needsanamebrewery
Recipes 

Thanks Shecky, I was kinda thinking that it was a preference thing but wanted to make sure. Not sure how I picked the preference of having to strain but I'm a strange duck like that sometimes.

"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer."
-Dave Barry

Old 09-30-2008, 09:18 PM   #4
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3471 Times on 3363 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Not strange. I strained my first few but found it easier to use the bags. Tomato, tomahto deal.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:36 PM   #5
Beertk
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just have a screen at the bottom of my kettle. I let the grains steep for about an hour, check for protein then open the valve. Sometimes recirculating is required to ensure all the grain is filtered out . To make sure I get all that grain goodness I run several gallons of hot water over the grains and collect that as well. I feel that this is easier than a bag but thats just me. So... I guess you'd say I use a strainer also. All that being said a Lauter Tun is a grain strainer.

"I don't drink to find happiness. Coincidentally. I do enjoy listening to you much more after a beer or three."

Quick Reply